cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7912 Phones and Ringlist.xml

david.walsh
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to add a custom ring to a 7912. I know the procedure (i.e. encode the file properly, put it up in the TFTPPath directory, modify the RingList.XML file), restart the TFTP server, reboot the phone -- really quite ridiculous to have to do all of this to add a simple ring). It works fine on a 7940 and a 7911, but no go on a 7912.

OK Cisco, what's the joke? Why can't you get consistent on how this works. You have so many models of phones, each of which have a seemingly different way of working (some have java, some don't, some download code each time, some don't).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Dave

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David, you are right. Each phone a slightly different ways to do things and you have to try and learn them.

Now, for the 7912, if I recall correctly, it will request Ringlist.xml (note spelling, only initial R is uppercase). If you can enable some kind of debug on TFTP, you will see which file the phone is requesting and the response from server.

I also believe the 7912 can display fewer rings than the 7940/60.

Try moving your ringtone higher up in the list.

I tried moving it up, no go.

Cisco really needs to make this work better or not list it as a feature. It's very annoying.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dave

Did you try setting the unit to factory defaults? This will force reloading of the TFTP configuration.

But first, go to MENU (globe button) > 3-settings > 5-status > 1-status messages

What does it say in there?

With regards to the ringlist, do you see the new ringtone in the list, or does it simply not appear?

Hi,

Haven't tried going to factory defaults yet. However, a person really shouldn't have to go to these measures. It should work as advertised. I'd really rather not factory reset 300+ phones every time I want to add a ring.

They don't see the ring in the list at all.

They're remote from me, so I'm not sure what their status messages say.

Thanks,

Dave

Agreed, just offering some troubleshooting steps.

Something we've encountered in the past is that TFTP breaks because of an ACL or something and the phone continues working becuase it uses previously stored config.

So, you might have a TFTP problem.

Can you try updating one of the phones with a different DN and see if the new change take effect?