Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

7920 Wireless IP Phone

Is this phone intrinsically safe and if so where can I find the documentation to support this?

6 REPLIES

Re: 7920 Wireless IP Phone

I assume when you say "safe" you are talking about the voice traffic being protected. Please take a look at the following document regarding the 7920 and security. If you use WEP or LEAP, both the signaling and voice media stream are protected between the 7920 and the wireless access point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00802a0a2d.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Thanks,

Brandon

By safe I mean does it emit any signals that would cause any explosions. I work at a Refinery and we would like to deploy them in our Lab where Gasoline and other chemicals are present.

I also work for a petroleum company, and it is highly doubtful that the 7920's are intrinsically safe. It seems that all the electronics I buy that are safe, are usually quite obviously labeled as such.

Also, by 'Safe' you meant to say, does the instrument have any exposed circuitry inside of it that carries current that could ignite a fuel vapor of any kind, should the vapor come into contact with the insides of the phone. I don't believe that Intrinsically Safe has anything to do with the emission of signals.

Michael

This is the first time it has come up as we haven't had arequest to deploy anything other than PC's and Regular Desktop IP phones in our Lab Area. I am just trying to do some research so that I can provide my boss with the correct information. Where would I find a example of a lable for a item that is intrinsically safe?

http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/0/938_MotDoc.pdf

Notice in the 'Other' section that they specifically reference an Intrinsically Safe (IS) version. My company has purchased many Motorola-made IS radios and batteries.

You indicated that you have also deployed desktop computers and telephones in this environment as well. Are they IS models? Just remember that what makes the device IS is the device's inability to allow any kind of explosive vapor into an area of the device, where the exposed components could allow current or spark to ignite said explosive vapor. This is the same reason most gas pumps have the labels on them that say "No cell phones or radios within 25 feet while pumping gas", etc.

Do a Google search, you'll learn a bunch.

Michael

Cisco Employee

Actually Intrisically safe means that the device is unable to release sufficient energy, by either thermal or electrical means, to cause an ignition of a flammable gas.

What you are thinking about is NEMA 7 enclosures where it can withstand the pressures resulting from an internal explosion of specified gases, and contain such an explosion sufficiently that an explosive gas-air mixture existing in the atmosphere surrounding the enclosure will not be ignited.

Please contact your cisco SE and have him research to see if the 7920 has been tested to be intrisically safe.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content