Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

7940 and Cisco 837 compatibility?

Does anyone have any ideas what is going in this scenario.

I have a 7940 phone connected to a 837 ADSL router. I also have a PC connected to the 837 (not via the 2nd port on the phone).

The PC can ping the 837, the 837 can ping the PC (in fact all connectivity from the PC to the 837 and beyond is perfect)

However, the PC can ping the 7940, but the 837 can not ping the 7940. Hence the 7940 can not see anything beyond the 837 (Callmanager etc)

The IP Address and other info on the 7940 is manually configured. I have configured the VLAN ID on the phone to 0.

The 7940 is listed in the 837s CDP neighbours list.

Does anyone have any ideas why the 7940 can not see the 837?

I am guessing this something to do with the VLAN id on the 7940 and the 837?

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: 7940 and Cisco 837 compatibility?

If the pc is connected to the 837 and not directly to the 7940 phone, the router could just be answering the ICMP request because it knows the device is somewhere out there. Try doing a traceroute from both the PC and the router to see where the packet fails. If you see the packet leaving the interface of the router that the phone is connected, then most likely it is the configuration of the phone. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/ip_7960/admguide/3_0_3_1/7900set2.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content