cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 cannot change ring type from settings

keith.craycraft
Level 1
Level 1

I have several phones that the ring type cannot be change in settings. the phones are 7940. firmware 7.2(2.0), bootload Pc0303010100 appload P00307020200. after the ring type is change the phone displays that is the ring type, but when phone rings the default ring type is played. I can go into the ring type menu selecet a new ring type and play it, save it and still get the default on calls to the phone. I have several phones that will allow me to change the ring type.... I am not find any load / firmware diferences between the phones. any suggestions????

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Keith,

It sounds like you are running into this bug associated with 7.2.2 firmware have a look;

CSCsb00617 Bug Details

7960: Settings -> RingType menu changes doesnt take effect

Release Notes

Symptom:

7960: Settings -> RingType menu changes does not take effect if menu is exited by other means than Softkeys.

Conditions:

Press Settings --> Ring Type --> Select Default Ring --> In Ring Type Menu Press Play softkey for 3rd entry i.e., Analog Synth 1.

then play 4th entry i.e., Analog Synth 2 and select and save.

Now go back into Select Default Ring --> In Ring Type Menu and Play another Ring Type as a new call is landing on the phone. The New call gets the default ring type of Chirp 1 and doesn't hear the changed or saved Ring type that user did.

After this all incoming calls only is able to hear the default ring.

It doesn't ring with the changed ring or with the one that played for the last time in

Default Ring --> In Ring Type Menu.

Workaround:

None

If user loses their ring for a particular line please perform the following.

1. Within the Default Ring submenu play select another ring than the one selected.

2. Then select the desired ring

3. Press "Save" Softkey

First Fixed-in Version 7.2(3.1), 4.1(3)ES41, 3.3(5)ES35, 4.0(02a)ES70, 4.1(3)SR03

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

does this bug also effect the 7940's.

I see no mention of 7940's in bug information.

trying to figure out which firmware to move to..

Hi Keith,

Yes this bug is also for 7940's. Many times Cisco lists one of the phone types but the key is;

Product mid-range-phones

I believe the newest firmware is 8.0.4, so probably any in the 8.x train would be good. Have a look at the release notes for any firmware that you are thinking of using to check for any open caveats.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....