cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 will no register in Call Manager 3.1

chuckthorne
Level 1
Level 1

We have just purchased some new 7940 phones and they will not register with the call manager (3.1). They go through the boot process, get an IP address and get to the screen "updating software" and that is where they stay. I can go into the call manager and see the phone recieved an IP address, but give the message it is not registered. What am I missing?

5 Replies 5

scottiptel
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please tell how you are adding the phones and in which vlan the phones are connected.

I am using the add device, selecting phone, selecting 7940 and then enter the MAC address and other informatoin. The phones are in vlan 101, and it is gettng an IP address.

gstegmann
Level 1
Level 1

hi chuck.

i suppose that you have checked that the auto-registration is enabled and works with a running phone that you ( for testing ) deleted from the ccm-database... ?

so first try to trace the problem on the tftp-service first :

- set appropriate bits for the tftp-service on ccm trace-configuration

- restart tftp / phone, and

- look into tracefile at directory trace/tftp.

if this doesn't help, maybe the phone itself gives some information ? try connecting via http to the ip-address, the phone has been assigned. what does it say ?

since you're running a rather old version, you may be lucky in finding the problem by using the bug-tool

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/home.pl

good luck,

gerhard

chuckthorne
Level 1
Level 1

I have the problem fixed. It seems that we had to have a new load for the new 7940 phones to work. Got the new load on and all is fine.

jhatfield
Level 1
Level 1

The new phones are shipping with a code rev that locks the phone up during the upgrade process. On the initial setup, change the boot code to P003010102. The phone will boot and successfully upgrade the code. Once the phone has booted, remove the P003010102 entry from the local phone setting so that it will load the system default code. Reset the phone and it will upgrade sucessfully to the system default code.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: