Views
Helpful
Replies

7941 Phone(s) not booting

colinwestwater
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 4 7941's that all have the same issue. They have previously been working ok, but when I unplug then replug them into the PoE the Headset and Mute lights are constantly lit, and the line lights flash green one after another. The Cisco boot logo does not come up.

I tried a factory reset, but it won't do that either.

Does anyone have any ideas? As the phones are only a couple of months old, Cisco simply RMA'd them, but I want to know why this is happening.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried the alternate factory reset ?

3491672850*#

The if you really want to know if the phone is still alive, you should span the switch port and do a capture, or connect to a pc with tftpd32 running.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I tried that reset too - no joy but it does seem to reset the phone. It just does not come back up. I used Wireshark and SPANed the port and the phone is broadcasting.

Any ideas what it could be?

The phone wants a DHCP reply containing with option 150 (TFTP address), then it will request term41.default.loads and the individual firmware files.

You must have these available on the TFTP server , than can be also a router or switch, then the phone will be alive again.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

What version of CallManager are you on?

Cisco Unified CallManager Administration

System version: 5.1.1.3000-5

Administration version: 1.1.0.0-1

andrew.llanos
Level 1
Level 1

Just a thought,

Check the speed settings on the switch. I had a problem with a 3750 a little while ago. It seemed that all the switchports were set to speed 1000. This caused my IP phones problems because they weren't -GE models. I resolved the problem by setting the ports to speed 100.

colinwestwater
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone that replied. After working with TAC and our MPLS provider (Global Crossing) it turns out the latency on the network from the Glasgow site to the US site where the TFTP server lives is on the verge of being unacceptable.

We are working with GC to tune the Glasgow WAN link. In the meantime, plugging in the phones at one of our other sites that has a acceptable ping response time fixes the phones.

Again many thanks to all that replied.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: