cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 Hangs up at "Configuring IP"

chris.cumbaa
Level 1
Level 1

I am using callmanager 3.3 and trying to get a second call attendant set up with a 7960. This is a brand new phone to replace a refurbished one that had the same problem. Using POE cisco 3524 catalyst switch. After manually adding the phone to the Call Manager, phone hangs up on the Configuring IP screen. Could this be a licensing issue? In call manager, it says the device is not found. Any feedback is appreciated.

Chris

10 Replies 10

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Be sure that you entered the MAC address correctly and that the config file is available in the c:\program files\cisco\tftppath directory on the TFTP server that the phone points to.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

You know what, the config file that the device defaults points to is not there. How do I get the correct config file? Your help is very much appreciated.

Nevermind, the config file is there. Still has the same problem. How do I know that this is the correct config file? I have a .loads .bin .sbn and .sb2 file with the same filename. Am I missing something?

There are two different files needed – the firmware file and the configuration file. The firmware should be something like P00307020200.loads with a corresponding .bin, .sbn, and .sb2 file. The configuration will be SEPMACAddress.cnf.xml. The MAC address will be that of the phone. If you are creating the phone manually in CCM, be sure that the MAC address you configure matches the phone. The configuration file will be created for you automatically. If you are missing the firmware files, you can download from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser.

Brandon

Firmware files are there, but cannot find any cnf.xml files on my computer. Every device (we at least have 15 active) should have one of these config files? Is there a way to import a config file? We have another 7960 in working order that will be almost identical to the way this one needs to be set up. Also, when I go to the firmware download site you gave, I see that they have two different firmware sets with the same name (a set for 7940s and another for 7960s). Considering that we have 7940s and 7960s with the same firmware version, could the problem be that the firmware that the 7960s are pointing to is the one for 7940s? Would that possibly cause a prolem like this? Could I fix this by downloading the firmware for the 7960s and renaming the files to P00307020300a or doing something similar? Thanks again.

shimebaugh
Level 1
Level 1

TO: Chris Cumbaa

FR: Steve Himebaugh

DT: FR 11/18/2005 1345 PST

Have you done the basic troubleshooting? IP, VLAN, TFTP IP, CCM IP, etc. all correct?

When I get this situation, the first thing I do is check the network settings on the phone.

When the phone is in the configuring IP stage and I attempt to go into settings, the phone will not respond. As a matter of fact, the phone will not respond to ANY button. I'm fairly certain that this is a hardware problem (again...) and I have sent the phone back and am awaiting a replacement. Thank you for helping me with the troubleshooting of this problem Brandon.

Chris

Hi,

When you cant use the settings button on ipphone for configuring network settings ,You could try consoling into the ipphone and setting the options manually,I know its kinda hard but this has worked for me when i had given up on several ipphones.Use this document for this

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/ipp7960/admin/4_0/7900con7.htm

Thanks

Aman

I am not at the office today, so that will have to wait. But, it is a good idea. We are running POE, and we have no standard ac adapter for the phone. Do you think that we will have problems consoling in during the bootup?

Thanks

Hi,

No this is not related to Poe ,as your phone gets powered up and then its stuck on configuring ip,Also was this phone ever registered in callmanager ,What version of skinny load and callmanager are you using.

Thanks

Aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: