cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 phone keep ringing after the other PSTN end hung up

Leonlei
Level 1
Level 1

I configured an VG 200 as the H.323 GW for CCM 3.2.2(c) using a FOX port. All configurations on GW and CCM are very essential. But the 7960 phones will keep ringing 3 times after the PSTN caller hung up, no problem with internal calls.

3 Replies 3

paul.harrison
Level 4
Level 4

This is a well known problem with FXO ports.

You need to configure the ports to work as PLAR OPX, this way when an inbound call is made, the router/vg200 will not answer the call until the far end (7960) answers the call.

The way it'll be working for you at the moment is that the router answers the call then plays ringing back to the caller, whilst trying to establish the call to the 7960, the caller hangs up without the 7960 answering but the router isn't seeing any disconnect supervision and so just keeps on ringing the phone.

Like I said PLAR OPX is the solution to your problem.

Paul

ngundura
Level 1
Level 1

This link does help however I believe that the way cisco routers and FXO ports operate is fundamentally flawed unless you use plar opx.

When an external call arrives at an FXO port the router actually answers the call and plays ringback tone to the caller. This means the caller is now paying for that call. If the IP phone or other destination does not answer the call and the caller keeps waiting they are running up costs that they should not and do not want to pay.

Worse still, unless the caller has some means of showing they are connected (phone display shows connected etc..) then the caller does not know they are paying for a call. Imagine if the caller was making an international call!

I'm sure this method of working is illegal in many countries and could result in the supplier being drawn into legal battles over bill payment.

So I go back to what I said in an earlier post, use PLAR OPX.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: