cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7985 IP VideoPhone to H323 VideoConferencing System

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

Is it possible to connect a 7985 IP VideoPhone to an external H323 VideoConferencing System? Is there a way I can just dial an IP address of a remote system from the 7985 or is that phone only compatible with other Cisco 7985's?

6 Replies 6

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

7985 only supports SCCP (from what I have read, this may change later). So, you will need to use it with a callmanager. But, it can connect to h.323 devices with video. It does support these video standards.

H.261, H.263, H.263+, and H.264

How exactly would you connect to a h.323 device via callmanager? Would I need to add a remote video system to call manager and assign an extension number?

The depends. You could add it as an h.323 gateway and send calls to it via a route pattern. You might be able to add it as an h.323 phone. If the devices registers to a gatekeeper, you could add the gatekeeper to callmanager as well. You should make this work as an h.323 gateway or an h.323 phone.

dweiner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't currently 'dial' an IP address on the 7985 afaik. I don't think end users will want to 'dial' an IP address anyway, and that really doesn't ease setup of a video teleconference. At the most you would have them dial a URL/hostname. The best, and most user friendly, way to do this (IMHO) is to look at your network and develop an enterprise dial plan. Set up a gatekeeper to register all endpoints (GK trunk in CCM for all CCM-controlled endpoints), and administer the prefix info in the GK configuration. I believe this is documented well in the Video Telephony SRND - check http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd

If you have a small number of endpoints then it's easy to administer the video systems as H.323 endpoints in CCM and not use GK. It's just another 'phone' off CallManager.

hth,

Don

I added the remote system as a h.323 endpoint and after switching from G.729 to G.711 for the endpoint it works great, I can assign an extension to a remote system and simply have the users dial to connect.

glad to hear. Please rate posts that are helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: