Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

911 calls

We are experiencing alot of accidental 911 calls. Currently in our config we must dial a 9 to get outside access, thus creating our problem of users dialing 9,911. What is the best way to overcome this? Is it just best to start using some other number rather than 9 to gain outside access?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 911 calls

Sounds to me like user error that would occur on any phone system. If you are using 9.@ as the route pattern -- which includes the 9.911 pattern -- then you could setup a route filter and set the clause to SERVICE == 411, add another clause to it so also SERVICE == 611 is okay. Then SERVICE == 911 would not be in the route filter that you apply to the route pattern, so 9.911 would no longer be part of your 9.@ route pattern.

That should solve the problem. Then you can create another pattern like 8.911 or something.

However you should think about the case where people really need to dial 911 for an emergency, and whether they would be able to know in a flash exactly how to dial the emergency number, because they might just think that they are still supposed to dial 9.911

So it may not be the best idea to change the pattern.

Just make sure the users understand that 9911 will call the emergency 911 number. If they are using 7960/7940 then they can hit the backspace key while dialing if they accidentally pressed 9 twice or something.

I usually just create a 911 route pattern, so that if someone is in a panic and they forget to dial 9,911 it goes through. But I'm not sure if that solves your problem. I think you should stay with 9 for outside access as that is the standard that everyone knows. Maybe find a crusty old PBX guy, they have been a fountain of knowledge for me in learning how to handle issues like this.

We set up our call manager to use 8 to access an outside line. We set this up this way to avoid this problem....

Views
Helpful
Replies