cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

99% Usage with Wireless Enabled; 4% Without

richardgalik
Level 1
Level 1

I use a Cisco 800 Wireless Router--with wireless enabled, my VoIP Provider tells me I am using 99% of my T1 bandwidth. With the wireless radio disabled, my usage drops to 4%. WEP Encrypted password; "probably" no one is stealing signal to broadcase video, which is about what it would take to use 95% of a T1. Any thoughts at all? (We're a small graphic design company with mostly Macs - T1 in, converted to the Cisco router, then a non-managed 24 port switch -- very simple network. Use the wireless mostly for client convenience.

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would start with changing the key (and encryption to WPA), then enabling the radio. Does the traffic load immediately return even with a new key?

Thanks for the response. I'll try WPA encryption on Monday and ask the VoIP provider if the usage drops. By the way, do you know of a small tool to look at usage myself?

Try prtg.

You can also check usage with "show interface".

I would leave radio setting alone for now. You can check who is connected with "show dot associa"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: