cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9xxx in the Directory Number

hdorroh
Level 1
Level 1

I am performing a port of a PRI that has many of the numbers 123-9xxx and I use 4 didgit extensions. Does anyone have a good idea on how to deal with the 9 in the directory number of users phones?

8 Replies 8

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

I'd be curious to see if anyone has found a solution to this. I am assuming you are trying to use "9" as your access code for an outside line and do not get return dialtone from CM. This is because there are more potential matches for 9 then just the route pattern. Am I assuming correctly? I don't see a way around this, but maybe someone else has.

That is one issuse, the second issuse that we are having is after dialing a 4 digit extenstion with the first digit being a 9, i.e. 9412 it waits 15 seconds before placing the call to the other IP phone. We have played with the digit time-out but that does not seem to be a satisfactory solution.

You could add a route pattern 9xxx# and get the users to append the # to an extension to make it dial without the wait. Not a great solution but it should work.

Be interesting t see what you come up with to resolve this one.

Regards

David

David,

I am not sure how you would do that with an IP based phone?

i would probably do

num exp 9... 8...

or

num-exp 9... 29...

and have them have a different internal num than their DID or 5 digits

if you create a 9XXX# route pattern you would have to point that pattern at a gateway and if that was your incoming/outgoing (only) gateway it might match

a 9T pots peer and get sent out so you may have to be careful there

or do 8.@ for outbound but....

tough call though

Unfortunately I think you will find no way to use 9 as an access code if your extensions begin with a 9 and still provide secondary dial tone.

This is a relativly common issue in the old PBX world. The normal workarounds are to use a different access code that is outside the extension range e.g 8T,

The other option is to use an access code with * e.g *9T

eric.fairfield
Level 1
Level 1

We had this problem in a school district as they were given the DID range of 9000-9999. We addressed outbound by using 8 as the outside access. We also had to deal with 911 by allowing the use of 8.911, 9.911, and 911 as they had many different ways of dialing 911 from the various phone systems between buildings. This created an issue so we had to disallow the use of 9110-9119, and 9911 for extension numbers. We also had to have the carrier block the inbound calling of those numbers so Call Manager didn't hairpin them back out to the PSAP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: