Views
Helpful
Replies

A couple of CUE questions.

d.bigerstaff
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder if somone can answer the following questions:

1. How much disc space does a voice mail use per minute? Or how many seconds per mb.

2. What file format is used for voice mail?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

CUE supports g711 format. I believe its mono, 8 bit.

g711 format uses 64000 bits per second. For a minute worth of voicemail, the number of bits should be 60 * 64000 = 3840000 bits. Converting this to Kilobits (divide by 1024) is 3750kb (kilobits). Divide by 8 you will get the number of Kilo bytes. (468.75KB)

Lets assume an average of 500kb per minute of voicemail.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

What sort of file format is stored on the compact flash in my CUE? Is it something as simple as a mono 8bit wave file or some Cisco format?

I know some of the prompts are in .wav format but i'm unsure about the voicemail.

Thanks again.

yes, it's 8-bit mono in the file system (which is inaccessible to the user/admin).

The reason I am asking this is because I have a company interested in a CME/CUE setup, the purpose of their business is audio to text conversion.

They would like to be able to have somone leave a voicemail, then have access to the voicemail file on their computer for conversion. Is this currently not possible for CME/CUE? How about Call Manager / Unity?

With Unity Express, this is not possible. With Unity Connection, it should be possible as the voicemails are stored in the file system with database pointers to reference who they belong to. With Unity, it's a function of the mail store. You would have to get the messages from Exchange/Domino and then do your conversion. You're basically dealing with an email.

In that case how is this idea sound:

A SIP (softphone) with answer phone feature? Which auto picks up the calls. Does anyone know of such software? or even hardware that gives downloadable recorded messages. I know that negates the purpose of CUE but this would be on a dedicated extebsion for this purpose.

Could you not just use the integrated messaging feature and retreve the voice mail as a wave file in your IMAP client ? And then have the user use the wave file for conversion ? You would need CUE 2.3 to do this. (AIM-CUE wont work).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: