cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A Few questions

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hey guys, just spoke with Air products last week and they're very interested in 3.0...about 9000 users all together. <br><br>Here are some of their questions:<br><br>- Any plans for Korean language support?<br>- What languagues are supported fully, which are prompts only<br>- Any plans for integration with Avaya's Interchange. This seems to be a software switch that translates vmail networking commands between different vendors' systems.<br>- Which package, if any, have we used for distributing VMO configs to users (i.e. Microsoft Installer, WinInstall, Wise, etc.)<br>- Which version of SQL does 3.0 use for the GAL cache. Customer asks because they've heard from Microsoft that SQL 7 and Exchange do not like each other on the same box.<br>- Does 3.0 require the Unity server to be a DC, or just participate in AD.<br>- Are there any known issues with front-ending Unity with a Cisco Content Services Switch (CSS 11000) for load balancing and redundancy? I couldn't think of any...<br><br><br>Many thanks,<br>kjw<br><br><br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

Quite a little laundry list here… couple of these should probably be broken out into separate posts. In general you’ll find folks more willing to answer specific/related questions rather than a whole list of unrelated things. Anyway, I can knock down a couple of them for you…

I didn’t see Korean on the 3.0 language list, the localization group will have to answer that one. Maybe Anil can help out there.

Same deal for the full list of languages supported with the phone and the GUI.

Avaya’s interchange is a “wagon wheel” box that was actually designed first and foremost to help communicate between all the old Lucent and Octel boxes Avaya needs to talk to using their various proprietary analog and digital communication schemes. It claims to support all kinds of stuff such as VPIM and the like but I’ve never been able to find anyone using it like that. Unity 3.0 will support AMIS (which the interchange claims to support, though I’m not sure why you’d bother… you can go direct in that case) and Unity 3.1 will support OctelNet directly. Again, you’d probably not want to plunk down the $$$ for the interchange in that case, you’d just talk directly to the box you want.

We’ve had sites use Microsoft’s SMS to push VMO to client desktops, however be aware that end users will still have to configure VMO to point to the Unity server (by using the server name or IP address) and provide their extension number for Unity to call for TRAP connections (i.e. if they’re using their phone to record/playback messages from the desktop). There’s no snappy way to push all that information automatically for each user. If folks aren’t using TRAP, that’s not a problem.

We are shipping with the MSDE version of SQL (free with Windows 2000) on base systems and Exchange 2000 for higher end boxes or for special configurations. Basically the MSDE version just removes some features from the full 2000 (such as DB replication for instance) version and kicks back the total size of the database allowed. Other than that they’re functionally identical.

Unity can be a DC or be a member server. We prefer, actually, that we be a member server since being a DC has a bunch of overhead we’d rather avoid on the messaging server.

I have no knowledge about the CSS 11000… I’ll have to let someone else answer that one.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

On languages -

Korean is not a supported language for Unity 2.4.6 or Unity 3.0(1).

The coverage for languages for Unity 3.0(1) is ( TUI is phone language and GUI is the SA/AA ) -
US English - TUI and GUI
UK English - TUI
Australian English - TUI
New Zealand English - TUI
French - TUI and GUI
German - TUI and GUI
Dutch - TUI
Norwegian - TUI (No TTS engine available)
Columbian Spanish - TUI
Euro Spanish - TUI
Chinese (Mainland Mandarin) - TUI
Japanese - TUI