cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A question for a beginner... installation.

mmckone
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going on the CUSE course on Wednesday and I'm a wee bit unsure about a few things. These might sound a bit daft but here goes..... Does the Unity server have to be a domain controller or can it be a member server that can see as another DC & Exchange 2000?

And at what stage in the installation does it ask for licence key?

Any feedback will be appreciated..... thanks.

2 Replies 2

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

Unity does not HAVE to be a DC and we very much prefer that it is not. However Excchange of course needs to see a DC. So if Unity is a standalone system, then it would have to be a DC. If you have a dedicated DC in the same forest as Unity, then Unity will not (and should not) be a DC.

As for the licensing, it will read in the key settings at the beginning of the setup process. If a valid key is not found it will ask you to install one, or continue in demo mode, which today is 10 users, 2 ports Real Speak, and a 15 second limit on voice messages.

I hope this helps.

ssmith222
Level 1
Level 1

Unity does not have to be on a domain controller. In fact it is a good idea for the domain controller to be on a separate server to cut down on processor utilization. Exchange can be on the Unity box or somewhere else as well.

The install will ask for the licensing key at the beginning of the Unity software install.