cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Code in CCM

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We want to restrict the use of phones, I want some phones have local access and other phones access to PSTN, this I could control by partitions, the problem is when a user leave his spot or desk, someone remaining in the office could use this phones with higher privileges to access PSTN, is there something similar like the access codes which manage the PBX. In which you type an access code, before given you permission to use the phone??

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

There are two methods you can use. You can use extension mobility, which brings a user's phone profile to the phone they're logging into, along with their partitions and CSSes. This is a seamless way to have people's directory numbers and privileges follow them from phone to phone if they don't have their own desk. The alternative is to do just what you said and use an access code to access the PSTN. There isn't a "clean" way to do this. There's a quick and dirty method described in the CallManager Fundamentals book, pages 199-203, that basically says add a translation like 9.542635@ route and 9.XXXXXX@ block, and strip PreAt on your gateway route list. The 542635 is an example of a 6-digit access code. The XXXXXX block pattern stops CCM from giving a reorder tone as soon as you enter a wrong digit for the access code. The access code will then show up in the Placed Calls menu of a 7940 or 7960 phone, so this isn't all that secure. Extension mobility is the best way to handle this sort of situation, especially since you can set timeouts on how long the phone will stay "logged in" for security purposes.

Be very careful of using the route pattern as auth code as described in the book. With large route plans you can peg the processors and reboot phones in the cluster. Remember that each @ pattern represents 300 individual patterns. 100 @ route patterns translates to 30,000 patterns when the route plan initializes. It's less stressful on the CM if you use 9xxxxxx.1xxxxxxxxxx and 9xxxxxx.011! with no digit strip on the pattern and preDot digit strip on the route list.

Do you know if a route filter will reduce the number of individual patterns with the @ macro. Such as a route filter that contains multiple clauses for the area codes within California. I am thinking that in a multi-tenant environment that needs different class of service levels, i.e. local, state, national, and international dialing restrictions. You could define one route filter and use it for each tenant’s 9. @ pattern.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: