Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Access to VM while email server is unavailable.

Is there any way to allow users to access their VM when their home email server is down? We need to run maintenance on our exchange box, which will affect Unity. Is there anyway around the downtime of VM?<br><br>

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Access to VM while email server is unavailable.

No. Unity uses Exchange as our message store, there is no priavte database of voice mail that we then syncronize to the Exchange inbox for each users... we originate the voice mail messages in their home store. That's the unified messaging concept (it cuts both ways in this case).

3.0 improves on this somewhat by keeping voice mail messages that can't yet be delivered to the user (i.e. the network is down and we can't contact external Exchange servers) in a temporary buffer that subscribers can get at. However that's only voice mail messages left while connectivity is down, not all their voice mail... anything that's been delivered to their home Exchange server will not be available to them while it's off line.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Community Member

Re: Access to VM while email server is unavailable.

If that is the case, then for me to provide users access to their VM during an exchange maintenance, I would need to setup an exchange cluster with Unity pointing to the Virtual server for the cluster. When one of the exchange servers is taken down, I would just need to stop and start the Unity service. Is this correct?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content