Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing VM located on 5.5 via mix-mode and Unity 4.0.2

frazier24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just completed a successful (sort of) migration from Unity 2.4.6 to Unity 4.0.2 (lab scenario). My 2.4.6 box was connected to 5.5, while the 4.0.2 is currently connected to Exch2K. Two-way trusts are setup, and I've done all the proper premissions. I have completed the Import/Export, and all my subscribers are located on 4.0.2 and can access Unity 4.0.2 via the TUI. However, the subscribers that are still on the 5.5 box (not mvoed to Exch2k yet) are unable to access their voicemail via the TUI and 4.0.2.

Although I can access the 5.5 box via Unity 4.0.2 (via mix-mode), could this still be a permissions issue? I can create new subscribers within 4.0.2 that home on the 5.5 box, and those VMs work great. However, the subscribers that were Imported/Exported and are still on 5.5 are unable to access their VM box. Please advise.

Lee

8 Replies 8

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a look at the E55 Exchange server's event log to see if anything interesting shows up in the app or sys log. Also ensure that the location where the Unity_ account is located is set to replicate to the E55 directory if there is a two-way ADC replication. If there is one-way replication in the ADC (E55 to E2K), we'll have to get trickier -- we'll have to remove the AD Unity_ account, create the Unity_ in E55, let it replicate over to E2K, and use the replicated copy.

Unity's messaging account does have service account admin for E55, right?

There should be an error in Unity's event log when the failure occurs; can you post it if these suggestions don't help out?

Hi,

Currently, the Unity_ account is still on the 5.5 box that also housed Unity 2.4.6. Since this 5.5 box is still required to be operational (but not Unity 2.4.6), would I have to move the Unity_ account? Also, the UnitySvc account that was recommended, how does that play a role between 5.5 and 2K?

Thanks again.

Lee

There sure better be a Unity_ AD account and Exchange Mailbox on the E2K server for the 4.0.2 Unity; if not, there's serious trouble. That's the servername account we are looking for, the one on Unity's E2K connected server.

"Also, the UnitySvc account that was recommended, how does that play a role between 5.5 and 2K? "

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by "recommended". Do you mean the account that I told you to look for?

There is a Unity_ account within AD, I have no troubles with how my 4.0.2 box and E2K, its all working great.. However, I am having a problem in how my 4.0.2 box is working with E5.5 (since most of the vmail-boxes are located there due to my migration to 4.0.2).

So are you saying that the Unity_ account for my 4.0.2 box requires to be replicated within the E5.5 site?

As for the UnitySvc account, this was created since it was recommended via page 7-6 in the "....Set Rights and Permissions" document.

Lee

Yes.. the Unity_ account IS replicating within the E5.5 site.

Other then that, I have done all the required E2K permissions via the wizard.

Lee

Good. And the account that is running the AvCsMgr has service admin rights in E55, right? What about the event log on that E55 server? Anything in there when the TUI logons to the E55 boxes fail?

The TUI logons fail after password, Unity states that the "server is down or unavailable, pls try again later"... or something to that affect.

As for the Event log for Apps, my AvCsMgr is having trouble starting. In turn, hoses up 3 other services to start. I've already went through the UnitySupport page and looked up the Event ID 30003.. I've double checked all my paths and settings via the instructions, however it still seems that my Unity 4.0.2 box is having trouble communicating with E2K via MAPI. I have all the rights, I have checked that 4 times already...

Any suggestions? If all else fails, I may just rebuild this thing again.

Thanks again

The #1 cause of problems in E2K connected systems is permissions/security. You're probably venturing into the realm of a TAC call.

Sounds like some got changed somewhere along the line. This problem here would have prevented the access to the E2K mailboxes that was working previously. Have you been able to check the security descriptor for the Unity_ mailbox on the E2K server? You'll need to enable the ADUC "advanced features". Check the ACL for any groups that the account the AvCsMgr is running as, or check the ACL for that account itself. What shows up? Another thing to check would be the ACL on the mailbox store that contains the Unity_ account.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: