Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Active Directory and separate organizational units

I have been asked to write in with a question about pre-existing users and importation into Unity.<br><br>We have set up some hunt groups through Call Manager and the Web Attendant, which involves creating some 'dummy' users with mailboxes accessible by several people. We also wanted to have a group voice mailbox for these users. <br><br>To accomplish this, I created a separate OU within Active Directory to place these dummy users. I also created a separate group to add each dummy user to, so that I could remove them from the Domain Users group. At this point, we have a separate OU under the main domain tree (OU=VM Groups,DC=domain,DC=com). <br><br>My coworker then went to import each dummy user into Unity. Unity was not able to find the new dummy users or the organizational unit I created for them. Moving each user back to the default Users group (CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com) allowed us to add the the users to Unity. At this point, all the dummy users have been moved and the hunt groups do work as intended. <br><br>Is this by design, or are we overlooking something important? While we have not done so yet (just moved to Win2k and AD), our shop plans on reorganizing existing users and groups into separate organizational units for policy application, software installation, delegation, etc. Is Unity going to prevent us from accomplishing this? It seems like this behavior would kill most of the benefits we were expecting to get from Active Directory. <br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Active Directory and separate organizational units

This is something you can do... the issue is when you installed Unity you indicated in part 2 setup that you wanted to create users in the Users container and this is the top of the tree (by default) that the monitor is looking at for objects we care about. I think if you ran the permissions wizard (available off AnswerMonkey.net, will be shipping with 4.0) and selected the root of the domain as the guy to apply rights to this would have helped this situation... it would apply rights needed to update users in the root container on down and changed the default monitor search scope to the root which would, of course, also pick up both your users and VM Groups containers.

You are not supposed to have to use the permisisons wizard to make this work... the monitor should allow you to import users from any container in the domain or, in fact, another domain. I've done this myself and I know it can work but using the permissions wizard does jump start the process.

I'd be interested if you guys could run the permissions wizard and give this a try... if after that you still can't see users in other containers than the default creation container (users) there's another problem at play that needs to be run down.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies