cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Active Directory Connector

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a customer with a Windows 2000 server environment running exchange 5.5. He uses ADC so when he add a new user it adds them to Exchange. They have a high turn over at this company and they absolutely do not want to loose this functionality. Of course when I installed the unity server as a exchange server in their existing site and org it worked great for a very short while. From various other posting on this site it sounds like I will not be able to add the Unity server into their site as long as they're using the ADC. Is there any way I can do this and still be able to use the ADC?<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

The only way you can use the ADC on Unity is if it's one way replicating information from the Exchange 5.5 directory on our box out to AD. If you do a two way connector or a one way connector coming in to Unity, you'll have all kinds of grief with Unity 2.x.

Unity 3.0 will support Active Directory (it's in field test now). Until then that's as close as you can get.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

So, how would Unity perform in the following scenario:

We plan to upgrade our PDC to Win2k and start the progression to AD. Our BDC will remain an NT 4.0 server for a while, so we won't do a "native mode" switch for some time. How will Unity perform in that environment? I'm not a stickler for full AD integration at this point, but obviously when it comes time to upgrade the Exchange server to Win2k and then Exchange 2000, we will of course have to have the ADC in place at that time to integrate the Exchange directory with AD.

We want to make this rollout a progression so that we can fine tune as we go. So, my main concern is just making sure that Unity will still function. We use Unity to initially create domain user/mailbox accounts. If we go to AD is this basic functionlity still going to work for us.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Lince
klince@hand.com

As Jeff mentioned in the previous mail, Unity will run in a Exchange 5.5 environment OK as long as your ADC to exchange is only one way.
If you are thinking of moving to Exchange 2K, then you might want to consider waiting for Unity 3.0(1). We will have coverage for full AD connectivity and the Unity will be able to interface to both the Exchange systems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: