Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AD Intergration Advantages

What do i gain by integrating my CCM with my AD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: AD Intergration Advantages

Some advantages:

1. If you already have AD, you have a directory populated with users, so no need to manually enter or import them to another directory.

2. Single point of administration of user accounts for things like name changes, department changes, password changes, etc.

3. Single password for users to access the domain, ccmuser page, and other CCM integrated apps.

In my opinion the advantage of AD integration far outweigh any negatives. You do, however, need to be aware that CCM becomes very dependent on AD in this situation, so make sure that your AD infrastructure is solid.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

5 REPLIES

Some advantages:

1. If you already have AD, you have a directory populated with users, so no need to manually enter or import them to another directory.

2. Single point of administration of user accounts for things like name changes, department changes, password changes, etc.

3. Single password for users to access the domain, ccmuser page, and other CCM integrated apps.

In my opinion the advantage of AD integration far outweigh any negatives. You do, however, need to be aware that CCM becomes very dependent on AD in this situation, so make sure that your AD infrastructure is solid.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

thanks,

that helps a lot

I found the AD to be negative in some places. The Directory for the "Corporate Directory" wasnt correct. The endusers had the ability to edit their profiles in Outlook and they would all have different input for their extension. Some would have x7403, some would have the area code, prefix, and then x7403. CallManager can't dial this. And if you move to a multisite with site codes and what not, you will to have to somehow update AD with the correct and keep it correct.

I don't believe the CCMuser page is linked to AD authentication. I think the PIN is linked to this for Extension mobility, but not the actual login for the ccmuser page. Careful with this. If it's a large deployment 1000 phones or something, really look at the pros/cons of this because it can be a real pain in the $##@! because the AD integration is not what it's all cracked up to be in my opinion. This current deployment, the Line Txt could not be updated from an AD integration, so what is the use of it and you cant link this in. Line Txt is updated manually and all depends on what you want the line to say also. J. Doe x7403 or John Doe 7403 or J.Doe (555)555-1214 I was blown away the client wanted the entire number in the Line Txt because people could not remember the area code and prefix. Go figure.

Anyways.. hpe this helps a bit

cheers

We have been using AD integration for a couple of years and the CCMuser page defintely uses AD to authenticate. I'm not aware of a way for users to update AD from Outlook, but I could certainly be wrong. If that's possible, do you know the procedure? There are defintely some consideration to be made as you mentioned, but my experience has been very postive.

Brandon

Silver

Interesting thread, as we are about to move to an integrated AD solution, and I have tested it last year in a lab environment.

I can confirm that the ccmuserpage uses the AD to authenticate. Depending on the setup of exchange you can allow use their phone numbers I guess, but I would never recommend doing that. The only other thing is the personal address book people might be using.

To work around the global address list presentation and what is needed to dial I believe you will need to set up application dial rules in callmanager administration and use the webdialer.

But as said, we are planning to migrate, so I am curious to see other experiences, pros and cons.

Leo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content