Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a Customize Ring tone

since1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just want to know what is the actual procedure for adding a ringtone to the callmanager.

Because after I added a ringtone, changing both ringlist.dat and ringlist.xml file, the phone seems to be getting only 2 defacto-ringtone.

Even when I change back to the original (I have backup both ringlist files) files, I can't get the original 12 ringtones back on my ip phone.

9 Replies 9

marinaibm
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm just wondering if your TFTP server is up and running?

marina

Yes, its running fine

which phone are you using ? the 7910 just "sees" 2 ringtones.

to our ccies : it would be interesting to change the ringtones on a per-device-basis. can one do that ?

greets, gerhard

Gerhard

You change the ring tones on any phone by using the settings button on the phone. The 7910 only has Chirp 1 and Chirp 2. The 7940/7960 phones have a whole range of ring tones that can be assigned on an individual basis.

jkoniecki
Level 1
Level 1

did you reset the phone ? after editing the ringlist ?

Not applicable

If you're using a 7960 phone and only seeing 2 selectable ring tones, there is a known problem that causes this. Check out:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/ring_type_23560.html

I had the same problem, where the IP Phones (7960) only listed 2 available ring tones, but once you make the change from the recommendation above, you get a much larger selection, and possibly the custom ring tone you setup.

The document is not updated, I cannot change the option of "Enabling the cache at start-up" (this is what stated in the document).

since1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I dunnoe whether this is the right procedure to do, but this is the list of things I did:

1. Copy the ringtone (a RAW file) over to the TFTPPath directory

2. Add entry to both ringlist.dat and the ringlist xml file

3. reset the phone (When the phone power up, I am left with 2 ringtones instead of the others)

4. Reset the TFTP Server (No user either).

SOS

gaurban
Level 1
Level 1

Kay -

The first thing is I never change the ringlist.dat file - mine is still the orginal file, so when I add rings, I just add them to the ringlist.xml file and put the .raw file in that directory.

Things to note - the ringlist.xml is very particular on spelling and format - make sure the entry you have added is identical to the originals. The second thing is make sure you have not added in too many rings I don't usually add anymore than 48 in, otherwise the system doesn't like it. (I think the max is 50, but can't remember exactly, 48 always works fine for me)

Once you have updated the ringlist.xml file, I have found in ver 3.2 that you have to bounce the TFTP service to get the rings to go out to the phones. Until you do, the phones have the current information loaded and will not refresh - sometimes even with a phone reboot, they keep the old information.

Try that and let us know.

Gerri

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: