Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Adding a Unity failover (clean install - configuration)

We are trying to build a new Unity server and use it as Failover.

I need to know the steps to build this new server and if I need a special license to be a failover from the Primary Unity.

We used to have two Unity servers on different domains with a licensing Pool (sharing licenses). One day we got ride of one of the domains, and we moved all subscribers to a single Unity. Now we have a spare server, but we don't have any redundancy in case our Primary Unity fails.

The need now, is to do a clean install on the spare server and configure it as a Failover Unity server.

We are currently running Unity 4.0.(5)

Any help would be appreciate it.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Adding a Unity failover (clean install - configuration)

You need a failover license for this, get in touch with pre-sales for this.

Installation Guide for Cisco Unity Unified Messaging with Microsoft  Exchange 2003/2000 (With Failover Configured), Release 4.0(5) and Later

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/405/installation/guide/cueum2k3fo/5ue2k3f.html

Replacing or Converting a Cisco Unity  Server or Failover Servers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_130.html

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Zeek,

Java gave you the info you need.  You definitely need to purchase a failover license for this.  However, Unity 4x is EOS/EOL so I don't know if this affects your ability to purchase additional licensing.  Java may know this off-hand so I defer on that topic.  In any case, one thing often overlooked in the documentation for failover is that the license with Unity should be installed on the primary server.  The failover server is installed using the default license.  Then you configure failover from the primary using the Failover Configuration Wizard.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks a lot for the information.

Yes, we might not be able to get a failover license for 4.0.5.

What we have decided to do is just to build the spare server as a backup server with a restore database in case our man Unity server crashes all the way.

Views
Helpful
Replies