cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

administrative CoS bug?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Assigned a subscriber to the default Administrative CoS so that subscriber can use their own NT domain user profile to manage the Voice Mail system. However, when this administrative user tries to change the CoS (Class of Service) of other users to remove "text to speech" capabilites for some users, the administrative web page errors with messages about running out of one or more "licensed features". However, when the user logs into the web page as the Administrator (which in our case is also the Exchange SA), we are able to make the appropriate changes to the subscriber's profile to remove text to speech. In addition, the counts for the licensed features are different when logged on as the administrator and when logged on as an administrative subscriber with the default administrative Class of Service.<br><br>

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

Sounds like a bug to me...

Can you provide some details on the version you're running? Does this happen for all accounts other than Administrator or for all accounts authenticating from another domain?

Ideally I'd like to get you to contact us and give us dial in information so we can gather some debug info and see what's going on...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Not applicable

We're running Unity 2.4.0.102
Windows 2000 build 2195
System Administrator DLL 2.4.0.144

Not applicable

I think I might know what this is... The registry rights scheme changed between NT and Win2K and I think there's an issue here since reading/updating the key it also tied to some registry keys where we temporarily cache some of that info. The admin account is going to have rights to the whole thing, other accounts might have read only access... you can try this out for me by trying different accounts on the box to verify it.

Let me dig around for a bit and I'll post and answer when I get a solution.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

Not applicable

OK… The SA folks ran this one down for me today, we think we know what's causing this. This has been fixed in 2.4.5, but was present in all released builds of 2.4.0 and could affect folks running on Win2K (there wont be an issue on NT 4.0).

The deal was one of the calls being made to check some of the key limits (i.e. how many TTS users are on the key) was using a library that opens the a registry key in the AV branch in READ | WRITE mode. Since WinNT has the “Everyone” group by default setup for read/write permissions in the registry, this wasn’t a problem. For Win2K they switched over to the “Authenticated Users” group not having write permissions. As such if you’re not accessing the SA with an account that’s a member of the Administrators group, the call to read the key values fails and you get weird results.

So, to solve this now (without having to wait to get your copy of 2.4.5) you can change the permissions on the “Authenticated Users” group in the registry on the Unity box and this issue should go away. To do that:

1. Open “REGEDT32.EXE” and go to the “Hkey_Local_Machine” window.

2. Go to the “Software\ActiveVoice” folder and select the Security | Permissions option from the menu.

3. Select “Authenticated Users” in the top list box and press the “Advanced” button at the bottom.

4. On the resulting dialog, make sure “Authenticated Users” is selected in the top list box (again… yeah, I know the interface is a little weird) and press the “View/Edit” button.

5. On the permissions entry dialog that comes up, make sure everything is allowed except “Create Link”, “Write DAC” and “Write Owner”.

“OK” out and you should be cool. Don’t be confused… this will create a second “Authenticated User” permission definition in there… one will be called “Read” (the original one you modified) and one will be called “special” that has the new permissions you add to the original one. Kinda weird, but this is how Win2K does things. It “ors” the permissions together.

If that doesn’t solve your problem, do be sure and let me know.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

Not applicable

Jeff, You da man!

Guess what. I also ran into this issue in 2.4.6.102. No 'authenticated users' group in the key. You see it in the 'add' list but it's was not there by default. I followed these steps and it solved our licensing issue. Problem was that the primary service account got orphaned and no admins could get in and add users. This trick worked as well even though it referenced older versions.

Any repercussions?

Also, dbWalker isn't clearing the orphan. Errors out stating (1) error found but log lists several errors:
Error greeting 'after greeting' destination Alias =openinggreetingch

Here's our versions:

Exchange Server Version Admin 5.5.2653.23
System Administrator DLL 2.4.5.35
AVLOGMGRSVR 2.4.5.5
AVPERFMONITORSVR 2.4.0.16
AVRESLOADERSVR 2.4.0.26
AVREPDIRSVR 2.4.0.51
DOH 2.4.0.178
AvResMgr 2.4.0.31
AvTtsSvr 2.4.5.5
AvMiuSvr 2.4.5.21
AVVIRTUALQUEUESVR 2.4.0.14
AVSASCHEDULERSVR 2.4.0.19
AvRulerSvr 2.4.0.67
AVARBITERSVR 2.4.0.146
AVNOTIFYQSVR 2.4.0.3
AVNOTIFIERSVR 2.4.0.100
AVEXCHANGEMONITORSVR 2.4.0.5
AVCONVENGSVR 2.4.5.16
AVFAILURECONVSVR 2.4.0.20
AVCONVMGRSVR 2.4.5.16
AVCALLCONTROLSVR 2.4.0.6
AVDOHMMSVR 2.4.0.70
AvStatMonSvr 2.4.0.69
AVTrapSVR 2.4.0.43
AVREPMGRSVR 2.4.5.135
AVGAENNOTSVR 2.4.0.20

Not applicable

No problems with that registiry rights work around that I know of... lots of sites have had to do that.

email me the dbWalker.log file generated by that run so I can take a look. If it wasn't removing the orphan it probably checked the AVP_SYSTEM_ID on it and determined it didn't match the local Unity server so it left it alone. I need to do that since you can have multiple Unity servers installed into the same site and I don't want to wax other boxes' objects... that would be bad.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I am experiencing the same problem. All assigned administrative accounts show all 65,000 licences in use while the main administrator account shows the proper numbers.

We have Unity 2.4.0.120 (System Administrator DLL 2.4.0.144) and are running it on Windows 2000 (IIS 5.0)
The Unity box is in the same domain (domain member) as the rest of our network.