cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Administrator Account Lockout

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I've installed Unity 2.3.6.22 with Active Fax as well. I've installed Unity utilizing a service account rather than the Administrator account. Since installation the Administrator account on the existing domain continues to get an Account Lockout. I've seen this once before in my lab, but never found out what caused it. I guess it is remotely possible that this is not connected to the Unity installation; however, the timing would appear that it is. Any ideas?<br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

I assume you mean your NT account is getting locked out, not your Unity access, correct?

If that’s the case, I can’t see how Unity would be affecting that. We use the credentials supplied by the installation account to start our services (if you look in the service control manager you’ll see all the AV* services there with are associated with that account). We aren’t actually logging in using that account and we don’t do anything to any NT account on the system.

When you make an existing Exchange/NT account pair a Unity subscriber we only add custom attributes to the Exchange account, we don’t touch anything on the NT account. This extends to the installation account. If you’re getting locked out it would normally be because someone was trying to log into that account with a bad password too many times. We don’t log in as that account and even if we did, you’d know right away we were using a bad PW since Unity would not come up at all.

Anything in the event log to give a clue as to why the lockout is happening? It should throw a warning in there that would give you something to start with.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp
jlindborg@activevoice.com

Not applicable

Jeff, I agree with you totally on everything that you have stated in your post, and no the event logs do not give any indication of why this is happening. The only clue that I really have is that it is definitely something on the Unity server causing the NT Account to go into a lock out status. Shutting down and powering off the Unity server does prevent it from occurring. Once the account goes into a lock out status, I have had trouble navigating in the SAWeb. From all appearences, it looks like something is tied to the Administrator account, but not the actual Av services, can you think of any registry entries? Anything?

Not applicable

I can't think of any reason we'd be causing an account lock out. I've never heard of such a thing before. We don't log in as any NT account so I have no clue why this would be. If our services are coming up, then clearly the login/PW for them is OK.

Are you saying there was no event log entry at all indicating the account was locked out or that it just didn't tell you anything? There must be an entry in the security log on the PDC.

There may be some other service (i.e. not one of ours) not starting on the box properly... the web stuff seems odd since the IIS and WWW services are system services and don't even have logins associated with them. I can't imagine what the connection there would be.

About all that all I can suggest from here is getting a support ticket open so we can call in and poke around.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp

Not applicable

Thanks for your help Jeff; in the end, you were absolutely correct. I left the Unity box turned off for over a day and came back to the site and found that their Administrator account was locked out again. My bad....the timing of all of this wasn't good, and it truly did look like it was the Unity box causing it; we've tracked it down to another server. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Not applicable

cool beans.

you were scarin' me there for a minute.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: