Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Alternative Extensions

Hello <br><br>Is there anyway to use a csv or bulk edit to add an alternative extension to all users in a site. I have to do this in about 3 weeks time to a site with 250 users and i don't fancy putting all 250 alternative extensions in manually.<br><br>any help v.m.a<br><br>jim<br><br>

4 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Alternative Extensions

Yeah, I've been kicking around ideas for how to handle alternate extensions and alternate MWI fields.

The new import (being completely rewritten) for Unity 4.0 later this year will have the ability to import alternate extension values for new users as you create them via CSV. That doesn't help you now and it also doesn't address the issue of adding/editing alternate extensions to standing users in a directory. The problem is a little thornier than it appears on the surface.

The basic problem is all the alternate extensions are just packed up and crammed into a blob together (i.e. they are not individually addressable as alternate extension #1, alternate extension #2 etc…) it’s just a collection of strings. Yeah, this saves a little space in the directory (which is what the database guys worry about) but it makes editing these things in mass nearly impossible (which is what administrators worry about). If you want to, say, add an alternate extension to everyone’s box and some folks already have other alternate extensions it’ll only be able to ADD to the collection, removing from the collection is difficult in this model.

For Unity 4.0 there will be reference tags for the alternate extensions so they can be referenced by id. In this model you can standardize on, say, alternate extension #4 being the corporate 10 digit CO number for everyone in the company and then just wax over/edit that value as needed without worrying about adding bogus values or harming other alternate Ids the user may have defined.

In the meantime, I can generate an application that just slurps in a CSV file that contains the alais of the user, their primary extension and the alternate ID you want to add to that user. It can run through and populate the users in the directory with a new ID (it’ll just add it to the collection if the ID is unique in the dialing domain). If this will do what you need, I can crank that out in a day or two. If you have more specific needs, let me know.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

thanks very much jeff that is ideal.

jim

Anonymous
N/A

I posted the Alternate Extension Adder utility on the 3.x tools page of AnswerMonkey tonight.

This functionality will get rolled into the standard import utility in Unity 4.0 later this year, but for now this will fill the gap.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

thank you very much jeff. my life is now a whole lot easier.

Views
Helpful
Replies