cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AMIS distribution list limitation

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Unity does not support msgs sent to its distribution list via AMIS. (as documented in the AMIS guide). Is there anyway to work around this? (my own workaround was setting up a Call Handler with its msg recipient configured to be the designated DL - Haven't tried it because I am not sure whether it is supported in this AMIS integration). The bad part in this case is: the customer's VM box is able to accept msgs coming in to its Octel distribution list via AMIS. So they are wondering why the same thing can't be done in Unity. <br><br>Systems Engineer

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Inbound AMIS messages, by default, can only be delivered to a fully qualified Unity subscriber. Inbound searches will only look for subscriber type of 1 (i.e. no internet subscribers, no DLS, no non subscribers). The subscribers can live on any Unity server on the network but they need to be a subscriber end-point. Using a call handler as you suggest wont work. You cannot address a message to a handler… only to a mail user.

That said, there IS a super-secret registry setting that will allow public DLs with Ids assigned to them to be targets for inbound AMIS messages. However, you don’t want to use this. It’s not supported, for one, and there’s a reasonably good reason we turned this off by default:

When you send a message to a remote AMIS user you have to supply a local subscriber that can get an NDR and act as the sender information when delivering via the AMIS protocol. Most systems don’t allow for “anonymous messages” from unknown users at remote locations.

AMIS messages that come directly to a distribution list present a problem here… the distribution list can contain AMIS recipients on remote systems. So when we turn around to send those messages out to AMIS recipients we don’t have a local recipient to act as the sender. Problem. As such you’ll get errors for all AMIS recipients that might have been in the DL.

If you’re real careful not to add AMIS recipients to a DL that is setup for inbound delivery of AMIS messages you can get away with this but in generally I’d go the easier route: You can deal with DLs reasonably easy by creating a dummy subscriber that forwards it’s messages to a DL. This dummy subscriber can act as the sender so even if the DL contains AMIS users you’re cool. Just be careful to only forward messages that contain a voice attachment, AMIS doesn’t like you sending emails, faxes, NDRs etc… Also, be careful not to do something cool like setup looping messages (DLs on one box forwarding to a DL on another box that forward back to the orignal box... keep your ports real busy if you're not careful).

If you’re feeling really oppressed by this limitation, ping me at my corporate and I’ll give you the skinny on the registry setting that’ll allow for DL addressing if you want to try it. Just be aware if something goes odd with the AMIS stuff, the first thing we’ll have you do is turn that off.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Great. With that said, will I be able to setup a dummy Unity subscribers that accepts incoming AMIS message and THEN forward it to a DL WITHIN Unity? (I can get the other way working) I want to be able to allow people in the Octel box to send to a DL in Unity (and fool the system to do it without hassle). Client doesn't want to modify any registry settings to make it into an "unsupported" solution but yet still wants to have that functionality.

I can't seem to be able to forward a message to a DL within Unity under the Message page. Let me know if i can get by using Auto-EMail forwarding in Exchange.

Systems Engineer

Not applicable

you'll have to do the forwarding of the message itself for the subscriber in Exchange... we don't expose the functionality for that via the SA. You'd need to setup a dummy subscriber with the appropriate ID and then in Exchange administrator for that mailbox and forward all incoming mail to the public distribution list you desire.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: