Views
Helpful
Replies

Analog phone not working

rcrumm_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have 1 out of several analog conference phones not working. I go off hook and get dial tone. I dial the digits and they do not seem to be transmitted because I keep getting the dial tone.

I am using a VG248.

Thansk,

Randall

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Randall,

If you switch two of the phones, working/non-working does the problem follow the phone or does it relate to the Jack/Port?

Usually when a phone "can't break dial tone" it is related to a Polarity issue. You can try changing the Line Cord on the non-working set.

Let us know,

Rob

Rob,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I was sick and this was not so hot.

Anyway, I tried a working phone and I am finding the same reuslts. I am trying to troubleshoot a fax machine with the same issue.

I'm going to have a cable guy test the lines tomorrow.

What can I look at next?

thanks,

Randall

Hi Randall,

No worries my friend :) Wait until the lines are tested. If the Tip/Ring are crossed and the Phone or Fax is Polarity sensitive this can be fixed by him.

Let us know,

Rob

Rob,

One question.

If I plug in a phone to a walljack that is connected to an unconfigured VG248 port will I get dial tone?

thanks,

Randall

Hi Randall,

I just tested this on one of our VG248's and you do not get dialtone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks. sounds more like the wiring. i'll let you know what we come up with tomorrow.

Randall

Rob,

I finally got this checked out. It was bad ports on the vg248. two right next to each other...go figure

Randall

Hi Randall,

Well there's a first for everything :) I have not ever come across this before. Did you RMA the VG248? If not, I would open up the RJ21 connector on the VG I'll bet that the problen is in this cable connector. Anyways, 5 points for posting back with your resolution. It's very helpful when people follow up like you have here.

Take care and thanks again!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: