cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Answering Fax line goes immediately to MOH

p-atkinson
Level 1
Level 1

We provided analog lines to our facility via VG248. We have PitneyBowes fax machines model 9830. We have 3550/3524 switches in the closet 6509 core switch with 6608 voice T1 module, 2 local and 1 LD PRIs. We are running CCM 3.3.

Intermittent problem - incoming fax call goes straight to Music On Hold. Fax machine is not busy, offline or disabled.

Can happen for internal faxes (totally on LAN, never rides PSTN) or external faxes (delivered via PSTN).

What is happening?

14 Replies 14

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

Pretty weird problem. Do you have call waiting disabled on that line? I seriously doubt that is the problem but just a thought.

Yes, call waiting is 'Off'. Both User and Network Hold Audio Source are set to . All settings for Forward and Pickup conditions are .

Thanks for the thought; any other ideas - anyone else want to try? Yes, very weird.

My last company is experiencing the same thing with the VG248 and a variety of fax machines.

Everything is set to none but you get the default beeping because it has no MOH to go to.

I would try an ATA device to see if you have the same results on a regular POTS line. It might be the signaling that is coming in over the PRI that is not being sent back to the local CO saying that it is busy and give a busy tone back.

We did not have problems with these machines when they were on Centrex analog service or legacy PBX analog lines.

We continue to have modem and fax problems in both our sites using similar Cisco IP solutions - 6608 blade to the PSTN and VG248 or VG200 internally.

robrhodes
Level 3
Level 3

Are your gateways & VG248 ports set for fax-relay or fax pass-through?

Pass-through in both the 6608 and the VG248

mcotrone
Level 3
Level 3

Yes I have had this problem with my VG248. I solved it with adjusting the Hook Flash timer to 800ms. Some how with the default Hook Flash timer value was causing the analog port to hookflash to MOH. Weird :)

Telnet to the VG248

Click on Configure --> Telephony --> Advanced Settings --> Hook Flash Timer --> 800ms.

HTH

Mike

Mike, thank you. Will give it a try. Had to something weird, because all the normal things didn't make sense . . . thanks for the creative problem solving.

brian-henry
Level 4
Level 4

Inside the VG248 got to Telephony Advanced Settings and enable or disable, whatever you want, the Busy Tone.

What is happening is that if you noticed insode CM it puts 2 lines in even though you configure 1 only for your fax that is connected to it. It has hook-flash enabled and tries to put the first call on HOLD while the other call comes in. Even though you have call waiting off.

So if you enable Busy Tone for the ports while off-hook then you will neve see that problem again. It is is the Admin manual 1.2(1)

I hope that this solves your problem.

Brian.Henry@anvi.com

Thanks - good thinking. Will check on those settings and change accordingly!

Ah thanks for the explanation. Thats why making the hook flash timer solves it also.

Thanks

Mike

I have tried all the setting on this post and i still get MOH. Any other ideas?

I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. I have the latest code on VG248's and recently upgraded to CCM 3.3.3 SR 3. Never had the problem with 3.2. We have tracing turned on and easily reached the music on vg248 by dialing our number over and over until it happened. TAC has the trace and determined it is not a VG248 problem, and said it was in the call manager. Our case recently was forwarded to another engineer on the CM side who is going to start looking into it. We are a medical facility who has a dictaphone server with 20 ports on the vg248. When the pilot number is called there is a hunt group setup. at least 1 out of 10 calls is answered by the music. The music will play for 12 to 15 seconds, and then the call will go through to the dictaphone server and get answered. Strangest thing I ever saw. No call waiting on, we disabled the port on busy, changed the hook flash timer, to no avail. When looking at the port specific status while getting the music the status is "Calling out with call on hold".

In any case, I will try to keep you updated... Our case number with tac is f081759

Please let me know if you get your problem solved as well so I can know what the fix was.

I also opened a case this morning, case F129690. i gave my engineer your case number so maybe they can get together on this to fix it faster.