Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Any ideas when Callmanager will introduc Background music through IP Phones

Our current PABX has the Background music feature added, which basically allows users to listen to music through their keystations speaker providing an external music source.

Is there any way or idea if we can have this feature to work with Callmanager and IP phones or something similar?

TIA

-Yavuz

1 REPLY
Community Member

Re: Any ideas when Callmanager will introduc Background music th

Hi Yavuz,

I have never heard of this feature before but it sounds like it could be fun to have.

As far as I know there is no way to do this out of the box, but wouldn't be very hard to accomplish. You could do the following:

-Add a music-on-hold audio source for the music you want to play. This could be a WAV file, or the fixed audio source (server sound card), which you could plug a radio into.

-Enable the audio source for multicast. This will mean that all phones will receive (but ignore) the stream packets weather they want to listen to it or not. I doubt this would be a problem as even a G711 stream only takes up about 64kbps - pretty isignificant on a LAN.

- Then you'd need to write a simple XML IP Phone service page which would just have a "Listen" and "Stop" buttons. You would use a URI in this page to open a receiving RTP stream from the multicast IP address and port assigned to your server/audio source.

here's an example phone service:

------------------------------------

Listen to the radio.

Press play to listen.

Play

RTPMRx:239.1.1.1:16384

Stop

RTPMRx:Stop

Exit

SoftKey:Exit

------------------------------------

For more info on ip phone services check out the SDK on CCO.

Regards,

Peter

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content