Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Anybody out there using ATA-186 with Fax without problems?

Hi

I just had some bad experience with ATA-186 with Fax. I tried fax w/9600bps and even with that I had interruptions after about 3 pages.

When faxing more complex pages (graphics) I even had interruptions after 1/3 page.

I am already using an ATA with the new HW and the newest SW.

Is anybody using the ATA in a live environment with fax without any problem?

If yes, I really like to know how...

Some good news: Fax workes fine with FXS modules and using Fax relay.

Thanks for any feedback,

Martin

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Anybody out there using ATA-186 with Fax without problems?

Hi,

I have tested the new ATA in our lab with 12.2.8T IOS in it works well (ATA<---(H323)---->Gateway<----->PSTN.

I had the same problems. Try it with the command "fax-rate disable" on the Voip dial-peer in direction ATA.

Regards

Mehmet

I too have had nothing but trouble with ATA's on fax. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. We finally gave up and sent them back. By the way the Cisco Release notes state that even at 9600 they occasionally may not work with all fax machines. To me a device that doesn't work all the time, doesn't work at all. They're fine for analog phones, etc.

Tim

The main thing that the ATA 186 is missing to make it perfectly fit for fax transmission is T.38 Support Fax Demodulation).

Currently the fax transmission is been passing through G.711 which is very sensitive for network quality.

Any slight variant in network environment directly causes to the fax transmission to be drop.

Fax on ATA-186 has limitation BY DESIGN. Pls refer to the field notice:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn17440.shtml

My impression is that it is failrly unstable. I have 3 out of 5 times to transmit 30 pages from an outdated "brother" fax mahcine (probably 9.6). But I never get it done with an Oki fax machine which is hardcoded 33.6Kbps. I'm using SIP in such scenario but the signalling should not be relevant. Rather it is the DSP issue.

Yuenme

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content