cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Area Codes and ART

rg.jones
Level 1
Level 1

How does ART determine which area codes are local and which are long distance?

9 Replies 9

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the ARTAdmin, if you go to System -> Gateway Configuration, each gateway listed has an Area Code field. So if a call goes through the gateway and the called number either has that area code as the called area code, or it just has 7 digits, then the call is local. If it has a different area code, it's long distance

Dave, thanks for the info. I had forgotten that the area code was placed in the gateway config. In the Toronto area we now have to dial all numbers as 10 digits. The only thing that distinguishes a LD call is that it has a 1 infront of it. We also have multiple area codes overlaping, so from our building all 416 calls are local but some 905 are local and some 905 are LD

It would be nice if ART could group by partition or CSS.

How do I refresh the reports? I added 416 as an area code to all the gateways but the reports are still not correct?

Thanks

Glenn

Unfortunately there is not an easy way to make a gateway configuration change go back through all the CDRs that ART has already collected.

If this is really important and you are comfortable enough with SQL to do some things manually, email me and I can give you some steps.

Also, I think what may be nice is to be able to define multiple area codes for the same gateway, which is what you need to do apparently. I am trying to find out how we can do that and I will let you know.

Okay, I went to Help -> For this page in the ARTAdmin Gateway Configuration screen.

For a single gateway, you can configure multiple area codes separated with commas. So that's how you should do it.

I found that out as well. :O)

Still have the problem with some 905 is local and some 905 is LD. Perhaps you could pass on the request to the developer for future consideration?

Sorry, I forgot about that problem.

I can't think of a way that this would work. But, I will be happy to ask the question and see what I can find out. If I find out that you will be able to do this in a later release I will post another follow-up message.

I'm reasonably certain that if this is ever possible to do it would have to be in a future version. I will let you know what I find out.

What I found out is that the next version of ART (I think we're talking 1.1 here) there will be a dial plan customization feature.

This can be done by specifying digit patterns that should be local, long distance, etc. and the default dial plan configuration in this new feature will be the standard NANP.

So if you know all the number combinations for the 905 area code that are local and long distance and can program them into ART then it should work.

I don't know about the release timeframe of this new version of ART but I think it will be in the next couple months.