Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

asp

Hello<br>Can we use Unity I an ASP solution, what we are thinking of is using Unity on an Exchange server with more than one company. Can Unit handle that?<br><br>Regards<br><br>Ketil Johansen<br><br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: asp

Unity isn’t really setup yet to work well in a tenant services environment, although I know several sites out there are configured to do this type of thing on a limited basis.

With the routing rules you can send callers to different opening greetings and the like based on the number the dialed (provided the switch sends us appropriate info) no problem, but you’ll have a few challenges that come to mind off the top of my head:

1. there’s only one alpha directory and it’ll include everyone. So if someone spells the name of a user it wont matter which line they called in on or which company they’re interested in, they’ll get matches across all companies be serviced by the box.

2. The “error” greeting that’s on every call handler and mailbox is not exposed on the SA and is by default configured to return to the “opening greeting” call handler. As such if someone dials into company “C” and gets a custom opening greeting and then dials an invalid ID, they’ll get dumped back to a different opening greeting which would be confusing. You CAN use the BulkEdit utility on my web page to get at and edit the Error greeting such that it will go where you want, but this is pretty cumbersome and the overhead for handling this with a large number of users/sites/handlers would be pretty intense.

3. Auto attendant transfers will not be restricted… if you call into company “C”, you can still dial any extension in the system regardless… you may end up ringing the phone of someone at company “b” by accident.

4. There’s no SA segmentation so if you wanted to do something like give folks at the different companies limited SA capabilities, they will see all the users/handlers in the system.

There’s probably other stuff that comes up but those are the big stumbling blocks you’ll run into. We are working on a proper tenant services package but I don’t know what version it’ll get into or when it would be available at this point.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Views
Helpful
Replies