Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Assistant monitoring lines

I have assistant that needs to monitor her manager phone line, but she does not want her phone to ring until the NoAnwer timout is reached, then she wants her phone to ring. Is it possible with CCM, currently Nortel system is providing that feature.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Assistant monitoring lines

Hey Chris .. after reading this forum for a few months now I have seen how much you know about IP telephony etc.(and have appreciated your many answers!!) so I wouldn't second guess yor design. I have done some research on the Unity as we are in the initial stages of migrating from Avaya/Octel to Unity ourselves and do think that you will find that you might not need the 3rd line with separate CCS/Partion to accomplish what you are looking for.From what I have read, Unity will use the originally dialed number and play the appropriate Greeting etc. for the Manager.Here is one similar thread from the Unity forum.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd91623

Let me know how it ends up working out for you and Thanks again for all the answers you have provided to help the rest of us!

Rob

9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Chris... I am currently working with a Cisco/Nortel hybrid system and can't think of how this is accomplished even on the Nortel side. Is there any way you can attach the Nortel TN prints for the 2 DN's involved so we can have a look.Let me know.

Thanks RH

I don't have an access to the Nortel Meridian system, and I will not have it. I just need to provide the same time functionallity.

Chris

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Chris ... I have worked with Nortel Meridian systems for about 20 years (when they were called SL1's ...yes I'm that old) and I have never seen any setup function like has been described to you. Have you seen it in action? I'm sure that you are probably thinking of setting it up the only way that would approximate what the assistant indicates they have now.

Give the Assistant a Flash-only appearance of the Managers DN

Have the Managers DN Forward no Answer to the Assistants DN (so they only get the audible after the No Answer timer expires)

Ensure that the assistant uses Call Forward All to voicemail when they leave their desk to ensure the Managers line doesn't take 8-10 rings before going to voicemail.

Can't think of any better way. RH

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I am concerned however that the call forwarded to the recepionist will end up in her mailbox. It needs to go to the manager voicemail. And the 8-10 rings is not a concern since that is what they have today.

Do you know if the forwarded call gets directed to the original dialed party or the final dialed party?

Chris

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Chris ... I'm not sure if this helps because we are using Avaya/Octel voicemail not Unity, but in my lab setup I have done what we thought for the Manager/Assistant config and the voicemail always is directed back to the Manager's mailbox like you require. I'm sure one of the Unity NetPro's like Ginger or Hin can give you some direction if you are using Unity voicemail. My guess would be that it will work with similar results.

PS. If the users currently are waiting 8-10 rings on the Nortel setup, then they musy be using this exact config.

HTH - Rob

The way I am planning on doing this is to give the assistant a 7960, 1st line will be her DID, second line shared line with the manager with flash only setting, 3rd line the same extension as second but seperate partition. The second line will have callforward no answer set to the third line and forwaring CSS will be the only CSS that can reach the 3rd line's partition. This way becuase 3rd line is the same as the manager it will send the call to correct vm subscriber. Any thoughts on this?

Chris

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey Chris .. after reading this forum for a few months now I have seen how much you know about IP telephony etc.(and have appreciated your many answers!!) so I wouldn't second guess yor design. I have done some research on the Unity as we are in the initial stages of migrating from Avaya/Octel to Unity ourselves and do think that you will find that you might not need the 3rd line with separate CCS/Partion to accomplish what you are looking for.From what I have read, Unity will use the originally dialed number and play the appropriate Greeting etc. for the Manager.Here is one similar thread from the Unity forum.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=IP%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd91623

Let me know how it ends up working out for you and Thanks again for all the answers you have provided to help the rest of us!

Rob

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, you are correct my original assumption was correct, I guess I was looking for confirmation. I tested it and it goes to the manager's vm. Thanks.

Chris

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, you are correct my original assumption was correct, I guess I was looking for confirmation. I tested it and it goes to the manager's vm. Thanks.

Chris

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content