Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA does not pick Voice VLAN by default

erik.stillman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a trunk port configuration with both an access vlan and a voice vlan. Unlike the IP phones, we can't seem to get our ATAs to grab an IP from the Voice VLAN.

Any ideas or must they be manually configured?

Thanks!

Erik.

10 Replies 10

c-charlebois
Level 3
Level 3

I do not beleive that it is possible to configure they to recognize the trunking. In our environment, we turn off trunking on ports that support ATA's and assign the entire port to the voice VLAN. Then we just label those ports with a sticker dot.

Now this is true of ATA186's. ATA188's, with their ethernet port, may be different.

Can you provide an example of how to that on the switchport?

Thanks,

Erik

mmihalas
Level 1
Level 1

They probably need to be upgraded. I bet they shipped with 2.15, and you need to go to 2.16 or newer for the voice vlan to work. Put the latest software on the CallManager TFTP, assign a port to just the voice VLAN, plug them in and let them upgrade, and then you should be able to plug them in anywhere. Just be sure not to disconnect them or let them lose power while they are being upgraded.

Mike

Can you provide an example of how to that on the switchport?

Thanks,

Erik

If you have a 3550 switch, to assign the switch port to only voice vlan (vlan61), use these commands:

int fa0/10

switchport access vlan 61

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

To assign both a access (60) and voice (61) vlan on the switch port, add these commands:

int fa0/10

switchport access vlan 60

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 61

spanning-tree portfast

ATA does understand 802.1p priority and thereby get the voice vlan id from the switch.

erik.stillman
Level 1
Level 1

More info: this is an ATA-188 running the latest firmware version 3.1.0 Build 040211a

Still grabs the native VLAN ip address.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik - what ethernet switch are you using? The port configuration varies if you are using 29xx-3524, 3550, etherswitch module, 4k or 6k. On the 29xx/3524 the correct configuration is:

description Phone and-or PC Port

switchport voice vlan V??

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan D??

switchport priority extend cos 0

!

You already have a correct 3550 config.

If you have a old version software, it won't trunk, but with the new software (ata18x-v2-16-1-ms-030814a.zup) it does work!

We had to set the port to access just temporary, and made it a trunk after software upgrade!

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Erik,

Maybe it helps to say you´re not the only one getting a headache from configuring ATAs :-)

I also tried a lot today, configured my switch to access port instead of trunk, did an upgrade to the recommended SSCP image, after that it did not get an IP address from DHCP anymore (did not even see it sending an DHCP request when I put a sniffer on a SPAN-port :-S

I´m going further into it today, and let you know if I figured it out ;-)

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: