cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA transient connection

bkootstra
Level 1
Level 1

We are constantly getting transient connection attempts from our ATA-186 (Version 2.12ms) boxes on the network.(Callmanager ver 3.1.x)

We have 5 ATA devices that are configured as 7960 phones. 4 of these devices are connected to powered 3524 switches and the 5th device is connected to a 6500 switch. Those connected to the 3524 had to have their ip static in order to work. The one connected to the 6500 had to have it DHCP. This rehoming of the ATA device also makes it RING 1 time which is a problem also.

My questions:

What can be done to stop this transient connection - which in turn should make the 1 ring on the ATA device stop?

Is having static IPs on the 3524 normal?

4 Replies 4

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Often times complex troubleshooting issues are best addressed in an interactive session with one of our trained technical assistance engineers. While other forum users may be able to help, it’s often difficult to do so for this type of issue.

To utilize the resources at our Technical Assistance Center, please visit http://www.cisco.com/tac and to open a case with one of our TAC engineers, visit http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

I would like to log a tac case, but the my ID doesn't have enough permissions to do so. Any suggestions?

walter.williams
Level 1
Level 1

I experienced the connection attempts and ringing with our ATA186's until I realized that each port must be set up as it's own 7960 phone in Call Manager.

For Example:

One of our ATA186's has a MAC of 00070EDCDF75.

I added one 7960 with a MAC of 00070EDCDF75, and another 7960 with a MAC of 070EDCDF7501 (which is the last 10 digits of 00070EDCDF75 plus 01.)

Both devices registered with the Callmanager, and the connection attempts and ringing stopped.

Regarding static IP's:

I have several ata186's connected to 3524-PWR switches obtaining their IP's via DHCP.

Verify the VLAN setting on the ATA186 switch port, and check out the VLAN setting on your DHCP servers switch port. We had problems that turned out to be a misconfigured DHCP server switch port.

Hope this helps.

Walter Williams

Graphics Microsystems Inc.

Thanks for the insight Walter. I was able to get rid of the registering problems by doing that. I have yet to work on the IP problem, but at least I know that it will DHCP through a 3524PWR switch.

Thanks again.

Brian Kootstra