Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ATA186 will not invoke ringing on Analogue phone

Hi,

This is the first time I have set up an ATA186 and I am using it with CM3.1(4a).

I have installed the Skinny software image on to it and added 2 devices as a 7960s in CM, and assigned DNs as stated in documentation. I can make calls from either line, but when I try to call a DN on the ATA186 it does not cause the analogue telephone to ring. However if the analogue phone goes off hook, the call is connected and 2-way audio is available. The only problem is it just wont ring!

Any ideas?

I am in the UK and so I am using a converter for the RJ11 ports on the back of the ATA. Does this mean I have to make a configuration change so that the ATA uses the correct wires for ring signalling?

Thanks

Peter

1 REPLY

Re: ATA186 will not invoke ringing on Analogue phone

Peter,

The problem is the connector that you are using in the back of the ATA.

There are 2 types in use in the UK Master and secondary/slave. If you look at a normal telephone socket a Master can be identified by the fact it has a large capacitor on the circuit board, a secondary doesn't. It is the capacitor in the circuit that causes the ring (for the telephony purists I know this is a simple explanation!).

The connector you have plugged in is a secondary which is typically used for digital extensions or second sockets (hence the name) on the same line.

Try to get hold of a master connector and it should solve all your problems.

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies