Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ATA186 will not invoke ringing on Analogue phone

Hi,

This is the first time I have set up an ATA186 and I am using it with CM3.1(4a).

I have installed the Skinny software image on to it and added 2 devices as a 7960s in CM, and assigned DNs as stated in documentation. I can make calls from either line, but when I try to call a DN on the ATA186 it does not cause the analogue telephone to ring. However if the analogue phone goes off hook, the call is connected and 2-way audio is available. The only problem is it just wont ring!

Any ideas?

I am in the UK and so I am using a converter for the RJ11 ports on the back of the ATA. Does this mean I have to make a configuration change so that the ATA uses the correct wires for ring signalling?

Thanks

Peter

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: ATA186 will not invoke ringing on Analogue phone

Bear with me on specific numbers here, but I know the ATA's don't push out a lot of voltage to ring a phone. We had an issue where the phones were older models and need more DC voltage (90V?)in order to ring the phones. The ATA's would only push out a smaller amount of voltage (40V). We had to get phones that are typically seen in a hotel that needed less voltage in order to get them to ring consistently. Below is a link that may help:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ata/ataadmn/sccp/sccpaapg.htm#xtocid5

Of course, the above is for the States, so I'm not sure what standards are in the U.K.

Rick

UK phones all use 40VDC so I think I should be OK there.

The UK ATA186 still has RJ11 sockets on the back rather than UK phone sockets (Can't remember the code), so I am using a converter. I am wondering if maybe UK phones use a different pair of wires for the ringing signal?

Do you know of any configuration relating to th above? I can't.

Thanks for your help.

Check if the ringing feature is disabled on CM for this device. Goto Directory Number Configuration, then scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Peter,

I think you might need a RJ-11 -> BT Jack converter with a built in capacitor to allow the ringing through. I think some converters are just wire maps.

Regards

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies