Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ATA188 questions

1) Can ATA188 connect to the ADSL modem with a dynamic IP address?

2) Does it support "peer-to-peer" mode, so two ATA188 adaptors can directly communicate to each other WITHOUT a gatekeeper?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES
fc

Re: ATA188 questions

With respect to your question:

1) You asked about connecting to "an ADSL Modem" as opposed to an "ADSL router". Do you envision connecting the ethernet cable from the modem directly to the "10/100SW" switched port on the the ATA188 and then connecting the other port to a PC running Windows XP or other PPPoE software? At the minimum, I think you'll need an inexpensive router (e.g. Cisco 806, ethernet in - ethernet out) between the two devices.

2) With respect to communicating directly without a gatekeeper, I'm not sure how to make that work. There is a service available, however, using a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Server and SIP-thru-NAT technology that I'm finding works VERY well for voice communications over the Internet. If you'd like to email me off-line, I'll help with more information and show you how to save money in using it. If you'd care to call, you can experience the voice quality for yourself!

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

Re: ATA188 questions

The answer for both is -yes

Views
Helpful
Replies