Views
Helpful
Replies

authentication.asp usage: need to confirm that devicename=* is ok

ckatene
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

in previous versions of call manager i have authenticated users against the authenticate.asp service by setting devicename=*, and it has worked fine. However, I have an instance of CCM4.1(3) where it is just not working - I have confirmed the user id and password a dozen times, and am *sure* they are correct.

can anyone point me to the documentation the describes the use of devicename=*?

c

3 Replies 3

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Am I correct to assume that you want to authenticate the user, but you don't care if the user in question actually owns / is logged in to the phone from which the authorization request is made?

If that's the case, open authenticate.asp, look for the following line:

if (result == SUCCESS)

and remove everything from that line until the end of that if clause. That way, you get rid of any device ownership/control/login check but the user is still authenticated against the DC directory.

And those two ActiveX objects, as well as all the others that CCM uses, are not documented anywhere.. they are not meant to be used by third parties.. but that doesn't mean you can't use them of course. I've written a huntgroup login/logout application for CCM4.0 that makes use of the same objects as the ccmadmin pages and it works just fine on both ccm 4.0x and 4.1x.

thanks for your response, yes you're correct. I was hoping I wouldn't have to modify the asp files, but it looks as if we'll have no choice - either that, or build a completely separate authentication database, which seems completely pointless!

thanks again ...

c

I'd lead you away from this, because in 5.0 the OS is locked down.

You can associate a single user in ccmadmin with every device given that you don't want to push to over 1000 devices (there are issues trying to associate 1 user with more than 1000 devices).

Alternatively, you could change the default Authentication.asp location as an enterprise param or on a per-device basis. This new location could be your own server--just return AUTHORIZED. If you wanted to make an exemption for some devices, or something of that nature, you could then redirect to the publisher auth.asp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: