cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Attendant Setup

baryonyx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi<br><br>Our small company is just implementing Unity with our cisco callmanager. We would like to start using the unity auto attendant feature. I'd like to know what the best way is to have all incoming calls forwarded to the opening greeting. All our incoming 800 number calls come in on the same internal extension so I basically need all those calls to go right to the opening greeting.<br><br>Thanks<br>Kris Seraphine <br>kris@goldenconcepts.net<br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

It's probably a simple matter of redirecting the incoming line(s) to the first port of voice mail. Depending upon which type of gateway you are using, this can be done several ways. What type of gateway is being used to direct external calls to the presently used extension?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Thanks for the quick response.

We have a vg200 with a MFT card.

My first thought was to forward all calls coming into our main extension to our first voicemail port and then make a routing rule that forwards all calls to this extension to the opening greeting.

I think this will work but I don't know if it's the cleanest way to do it.

Not applicable

You shouldn't even have to create a new routing rule for this... by default all these calls should end up at the opening greeting unless:

1. the forwarding extension is the ID of a subscriber in your system. In that case the user will hear the personal greeting for that subscriber.

2. the calling number matches the ID of a subscriber in your system (and the forwarding number does not if there is one). In this case we will automatically log that subscriber in to check their messages.

As long as the forwarding and calling numbers don't match any subscriber's ID, the calls end up at the opening greeting automatically.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

That makes sense.

Is this sound like a good way to go or is there a better way to do it? How would you do it?

Not applicable

I'd definitely leave the routing rules alone and go with the default behavior. You should only need to mess with routing rules for special needs (i.e. you want all calls to a particular 800 number to go to a special call handler or something). Outside of that, you should leave them alone. I think you'll be fine with the default behavior.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: