Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic Updates service hangs on starting after CCM OS upgrade

After upgrading to 2000-4-2, a "service failed to start" message pops up. Logged message says the Automatic Updates service hung on starting. Looks like it's started OK, but I'm surprised this isn't disabled altogether.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

"Looks like it's started OK, but I'm surprised this isn't disabled altogether."

I'm a little surprised too, since you're not supposed to use Automatic Updates on CallManager and I've never seen it running. I checked two of our managed customer OS 2000.4.2sr1 boxes and they both have that service set to Disabled. It's documented to be set to Disabled when you apply 2000.4.2, and probably gets set to Disabled by earlier versions too. Check about a third of the way down in the document referenced below for the Services settings section.

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/cmva/win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-2-Readme.htm

You should go ahead and disable it. If one service is set wrong, it would probably be a good idea for you to take a quick sweep through and make sure all the other services are set correctly as well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

"Looks like it's started OK, but I'm surprised this isn't disabled altogether."

I'm a little surprised too, since you're not supposed to use Automatic Updates on CallManager and I've never seen it running. I checked two of our managed customer OS 2000.4.2sr1 boxes and they both have that service set to Disabled. It's documented to be set to Disabled when you apply 2000.4.2, and probably gets set to Disabled by earlier versions too. Check about a third of the way down in the document referenced below for the Services settings section.

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/cmva/win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-4-2-Readme.htm

You should go ahead and disable it. If one service is set wrong, it would probably be a good idea for you to take a quick sweep through and make sure all the other services are set correctly as well.

Yeah, that's why I was surprised. I went back and checked, and it was disabled prior to applying 2000.4.2 as it should have been, so I disabled it. Also checked everything else, and found only a couple of other discrepancies cf the list you cited, but I can account for those. The Subscriber updated without a hitch. Must be cosmic rays or something; I'll check the update logs in detail when I get to work.