Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AvCsGateway Question

Here is an interesting one for you. I will try to explain it as clearly as possible<br><br>Unity 3.1.2, CallManager is 3.1 (but I don't think that matters)<br><br>Test 1 -- Simulate a failure in AvCsGateway<br><br>1) I manually shutdown AvCsGateway from the services page. Since AvCsMgr relies on AvCsGateway, it shuts down as well. The tray icon also shows Unity down. Then (after about 5 seconds) AvCsGateway comes up automagically (I assume by design); however, it does not bring up AvCsMgr with it. So Unity fails.<br><br> 1.1) So I start AvCsMgr manually. Unity works, but the Tray Status icon still shows Unity being down (red x)<br> 1.2) So I try a start from the Unity tray icon. It stops the AvCsMgr service, and restarts it. AvCsMgr restarts successfully, but Unity try icon still shows unity is down.<br> 1.3) I manually stop AvCsGateway again, and this time it does not stop Unity (presumably because it thinks it is down), and then AvCsGateway starts again (automagically), and Unity works (because AvCsMgr never stopped)<br> 1.4) I stop the AvCsMgr manually again. Then Start unity from the tray icon, and It restarts the AvCsMgr successfully, and the Unity try icon show that unity is started.<br><br>2) For a second test, I shutdown AvCsGateway manually and immediately (within 3 seconds), started it again manually. And it restart AvCsMgr on its own, and the tray icon showed Unity up.<br><br>This seems strange, and I was wondering if I could get a "good" explanation for the events described above. Is it by design ... Is part of it by the design, and the rest is luck ... or is it all just pure luck :-)<br><br>Thoughts?<br><br>Steve Allwine<br><br>

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: AvCsGateway Question

This is more or less by design. The AvCsGateway is basically the system manager. It checks to make sure things are started and will start them if they are not and it thinks they should be. Manually stopping and starting the services can easily cause the whole system to get out of wack. The AvCcMgr (Unity) should not be manually stopped or started. You should only stop and start Unity through the tray icon or the web page to avoid this.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

If Unity should not be restarted via restarting AvCsMgr, then is there a recommendation for bring Unity back up after a failure, with out restarting the server, in a lights out scenario (i.e. -- using a monitoring program like Top Tools or Prognosis)

Gold

Those tools are not supported for Unity maintenance. You would either need to reboot the machine or start it up through the GUI with Windows Terminal Services or pcAnywhere.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content