cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AvUMR_MC service: "Mail store connectivity checking" error message

kenjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

We just recently upgrade from Unity 3.1.4 to 3.1.5 and are getting the following error in the evnet logs from the AvUMR_MC service. I may be dumb here but this service is new isn't it? If not I've completely forgotten about it :-)

Anyway it is saying:

"The mail store type is not specified for this unity system. Mail store connectivity checking is disabled"

Is this a mistake in my upgrade process I can easily rectify? :-)

Thanks!

- Ken

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

someone like Steve will have to hop on for a definitive answer on the source of that message but yes, the UMR service is reasonably new. The UMR functionality used to be wrapped up in the AvCSMgr service and now it's broken out into it's own service (a similiar "factoring" function was done to break the notification service out of the AvCsMgr service).

I think the mailstore checking function it's talking about is the operation of "pinging" all the Exchange servers the Unity server cares about (i.e. all the Exchange servers where one or more Unity subscribers are homed). By default Unity pings these guys every so often to make sure they're up and if not we wont let you log in to check messages since, of course, the log in operation will choke since the box is off line or the Exchange messaging services are not up.

Unsure exactly what it means by "mail store type is not specified" but I'm guessing it's a registry configuration issue or something similiar where the mailstore type (5.5 or 2K) is not set right in the place it's looking for it. This could be one of several places so we'll need to get some help from the messaging folks for a detailed answer...

Not a show stopper problem in the short term but something you'll want to get cleared up.

Ok - that's the answer I was hoping for - thanks :-)

Should I open a TAC case to fix that you think or is it likely to be a simple fix they can walk me through here?

Could you check and see if the following registry key is present, and if so, what is it set to....

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\SystemParameters\1.0\MailStore Type

The UMR service is not new, but that event log message is.

Hah - that's pretty funny - I have a faithless unity server! :-)

It's currently set to "Agnostic"

I imagine that's not correct? :-)

That's about the funniest key setting I've seen in months :-)

- Ken

Agnostic...us developers have to express our sence of humor somehow : )

You are correct in that fact that setting is not correct. I'm curious as to how it was set to that in the first place. The "normal" way that setting will be agnostic is if the Unity Configuration for the mail store type has not been run.

You can change the entry to be either Exchange 5.5 or Exchange 2k (whatever the store may be) and restart the UMR service. Because I'm not quite sure how this setting got changed, there's a chance something else might be wrong, too. If that turns out to be the case, I'd contact TAC.

Thanks! I did go ahead and contact TAC and embarissingly it turns out I didn't run the second part of setup during the upgrade from 3.1.4 to 3.15 - I have no idea why - but it seems pretty clear I did not...

Ah well - hopefully that will solve things - we're going to watch it over the weekend - thanks for the points in the right direction!

About second part setup...that's what I was thinking at first as well...that it wasn't ran. Even if that was the case, the regsitry shouldn't have been "agnostic", it should have been the selected mail store for the 3.1.4 install. Additionally, that second part setup should have launched auto-magically after running the first part of setup. Oh well...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: