Helpful
Replies

AVVID integration with symbol netvision phones

uttaran
Level 1
Level 1

All

Need help!

I have a client that needs Symbol Netvision integration with CCM 3.0(9).

I hv tried to look thru the CCO but no concrete solution .Do anyone in the forum can help me in this integration.What should I configure in CCM and the gateway.I am using Symbol Access point which ic connected to tCatalyst 3524 alongwith Call Manager.Is there any Caveats?

Thanks in advance

Regds

Uttaran Chakrabarti

7 Replies 7

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Uttaran,

If you are using the standard firmware on the Symbol NetVision phone, you can just add each phone you are going to use as an H.323 Client in the CallManager, and you will have to specify the IP address as the device name for each phone.

Symbol is very soon going to release Skinny firmware for the NetVision phone which will allow the CallManager to treat it like a 12-SP+ phone so it is much easier to configure and it handles supplementary services much better than with H.323 mode, so this will be the preferred method.

You would need to contact Symbol to get that firmware, as it is not provided by Cisco.

Has anyone gotten the Symbol phones to work with the Aironet 350 access points. If so, how many phones.

duhollis
Level 1
Level 1

I had lots of problems with the ybol phone and was never able to make it work. However, I saw a Skinny-based wireless IP phone at Networkers that uses Cisco Aironet 340/50 APs called the Netlink IP Phone. You can look it up at www.spectralink.com. The cool thing I see about it is becuase it is a skinny-based phone, you can configure all your regular functions, like conference, etc. You add it just like any other IP phone!

tboynton
Level 1
Level 1

Just found out that the spectralink phone configures as a 12sp+ as well. I've been waiting and waiting for something like this to come out. I've called them several times before but everything they required special gateways and extra equipment. I'm excited. Woo Hoo

Do I understand? You are able to use spectralink wireless phone with call manager withouth having special gateway?

May you tell me how?

We had the Spectralink rep in to talk to us and demo the Netlink IP phones. The concept is great, wireless IP Phone that integrates with CCM. We found two issues with the phones. 1) the battery life is approximately 2 hours, 2) besides the phones, CCM, and an access point you need, the SVP Server, which is a dedicated appliance that performs QoS for the wireless phones. The SVP server, is $1500 and can only handle 30 simultaneous active calls. The Netlink IP Phones, with a battery, and charger, runs around $800 each. So it's not a inexpensive solution.

Because of the way the SVP server integrates, it doesn't fit our deployment model, without putting an SVP server at each of my locations; each location would only have maybe 5 Netlink IP Phones. We are looking at alternative solutions, the symbol wireless IP Phones are another option we are looking into.

Tim Medley - CCNP-Voice

Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

The SVP Server handles 80 simultaneous calls. SpectraLink will work around with cost of SVP Server.

The list price of phones, batteries and charger is below the $800.00.

Please contact me for more information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: