Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

AVVID over Cable infrastructure possible?

Is it feasable to deploy AVVID over a cable infrastructure using ip phones through cable modems through a CMTS? What are the drawbacks? I know for one that inline power doesnt seem feasable. Thanks.

3 REPLIES

Re: AVVID over Cable infrastructure possible?

It should work but you’re not in control of the bandwidth being used over a public network so you may have some quality issues. Anyone else think of issues they might experience?

As Lisa said it should work but it will be a lot of administration.

How are you going to get the phones to find the server? statically configure every phone? if you do this then you need a router, not just a cable modem to handle nat'ing all the remote addresses.

Make sure you set the firewall up correctly to pass all the traffic.

I'd just stick to the good old local bell (I believe that's what you american types call the phone company) and tell whoever had the idea that it's just not possible.

Paul

If your provider is decent both at the source (work?) and your ISP - (even better if you can persuade your place of business to set up a peering agreemenet with such a local provider) then a local power block and a VPN should be all you need. Done all the time - with varying degreees of success of course - but with the right peering agreement - or simply really good connectivity between the two end points - a properly setup VPN should ride you home...

Views
Helpful
Replies