cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up Cisco Callmanager using a central Backup server

ptsao
Level 1
Level 1

We use CA's Brighstor ArcServe to backup our servers in our company. I would like to know whether it is possible to backup Callmanger using a separate backup server. If so, what do we need to backup (C:\ + SQL databases)?

Let me know. Thanks!!!

4 Replies 4

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

The official party line from cisco on this is that the only supported backup utility for CCM is the Cisco IPT Backup Utility or the newer Cisco Backup and Restore System (BARS).

What I recommend is to use the BARS utility on your CCM Publisher to backup CCM and SQL data to a network share. Then use ArcServe or any other 3rd party backup software to backup the network share.

tm

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

Here you go, we use CA's Brigstor ArcServe central backup server to back up Unity 3.1(3) verison. Backup was sucessfully, but we havent try restore yet, coz Unity was already on live. If someone test to restore, please let me know.

About CCM, at the beginning, I was thinking to use ArcServe, but since CCM has its own Backup utility, I think we should follow Cisco Recommendation.

Anybody have comment??? please share!!

cisco isn't tryinh to lock anyone intop a Cisco-only backup solution to make money. I learned the hard way. I backed up a Unity box using BackupExec with all the proper options and had to do a restore later. I did get Unity up but before the restore Uity could run a marathon at top speed and after it could only do the 50 yard dash with a walker. It took a lot of time and energy to get Unity back 100% and have had it confirmed through TAC that the reason for the issues was the use of the other backup software, especially the restore portion. Please save yourself the rouble and use the Cisco backup solutions

I thought BackupExec(Veritas) is the one Cisco recommended??? Then why u have problem to restore it??

The bad thing for me is that, our company has been using ArcServe for long time, it is really hard to change now. There are a lot of reasons such as budget, company policy, training new person again, etc.