cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Agents on Unity

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an issue with the Veritas Backup agents. I have an ICS7750 with Unity on the SPE. As per the recommended installation, the Unity server is the Active Directory Domain Controller and Exchange 2000 server in its own Windows 2000 Active Directory domain. My corporate backup device is running on a Windows 2000 member server in my Windows NT domain. I can see the Unity server and shares, but I can't see the Exchange 2000 pieces. Do I need to create a trust between the Win2K domain and the NT4 domain? I need to be able to see items like "First Storage Group", etc?

4 Replies 4

jmessina
Level 1
Level 1

you need to have the exchange system management tools on the box to see the stores.

run ex2k setup and install only the tools. this will allow you to see the cross domain information store.

the easy way would be to use windows backup on the 7750 to back up the stores and backup that backup file to tape with veritas but... lets see if a better way will work....

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear, I load the Exchange 2K tools on the backup server and I should then see the stores? Will I still need some kind of a trust relationship to the backup account on the customer (backup) domain?

yes load the ex2k system tools on the backup server and you will see the mailbox stores in the unity domain when browse entire network with veritas.

to backup the cross domain information store a trust relationship is one option. or as i mentioned you could back up the exchange databases locally on the 7750 with windows backup to disk. then backup that file with veritas to tape. otherwise you could try creating an identical account in the backup servers domain with the same name and password as the service account in the unity doamin and try to attach to the stores with that account. but ideally youll want this scheduled and automated so the trust relationship in the long run will probably be the most consistant and scalable. veritas is sometimes flaky and will attach one time but not the next. i back up 3 different domains from a backup server in one domain and its alot of work. the best would be to have a backup server in the same domain.

Again, thanks for the info. I'll set this up asap.