Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Backup server and Dual integration

I have got a site with dual integration Serial and skinny.(PBX and CM). I want to do the backup server for Unity.<br>Unity is version 2.46 B102<br>If I just follow the procedure for backup sever would that be enough for dual integration. I basically want dual integration with backup server cabability.<br><br>Sean Poure<br>NEC-Voice Engineering<br>Sr. Systems Engineer<br>714 4846275<br>

Sean Poure
3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Backup server and Dual integration

The backup server (i.e. “simple failover”) will work insofar as it goes with dual switch configuration. However, remember that it’s the switches responsibility to handle routing calls properly when the primary Unity server goes down. Also make sure you understand the limitations of this configuration (i.e. lots of manual configuration necessary, no lamps/notifications when the primary is down etc…). These are discussed in the README file.

In the case of Call Manager this isn’t tough since you’re just sticking the ports from both the primary and the backup Unity server into one big hunt group and will route over to the backup Unity server when the primary goes down.

In the case a switch using analog integration this is cake since you literally just “Y” the analog lines out into ports on both the primary and the backup Unity server, set the primary to answer on the 1st ring, the secondary to answer on the 3rd ring and you’re off to the races.

Serial integration throws a wrench into the works, however… I’m assuming that’s you’re case using a 2000 or a 2400 here. You can’t simply Y the lines and Y the serial cable or get cute with a port concentrator on the serial line or the like. Blasting out serial packets to both Unity servers all the time will result in both Unity’s responding with appropriate ACK/NAK action which will not make the switch happy. If memory serves, on the 2400 at least you can define multiple port groups and have a separate serial port assigned to each. You’d program your primary group to fail over to the secondary group and, as such, only when the primary goes down with the secondary Unity get serial data coming at it.

Regardless… I’m sure you guys in NEC land can figure a way to do this, just be aware of the issues. If you can get a failover configuration with the NEC analog switch flying properly you can get the dual switch configuration working.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

That is great info 2 items
1- In CM case I have two Unitys. Unity 1 with 4(port) 4000 to 4003. Unity 2 with (4port) 4004-4007. I create a big hunt group in my CM. When a call hits the CM how does CM know not to send the calls to 4004-4007 (Unity 2)since they are all in one hunt group. Does Unity somehow busy those ports so CM wont send calls to Unity 2.
2-If that is the case why I can not do the same thing on 2400PBX. Create a big hunt group and the back up Unity inteligence somehow busy out the ports on the backup server. When Unity 1 goes down the the back up server unbusy the ports and ready to accept calls. I guess I dont understand how unity swithes back and forth on port availabilty between primary and backup server...Please explain..

Sean Poure
NEC-Voice Engineering
Sr. Systems Engineer
714 4846275

Sean Poure
Anonymous
N/A

No, Unity doesn't busy out ports... if all 4 ports on the first Unity are busy the backup server will get the call and yes, this can cause interesting issue. Not much we can do about it other than to make sure you have enough ports on your primary Unity server to handle the load.

so no, you can't do one big hunt group with the NEC switch. The primary problem is coordingating the serial information across two boxes (both boxes need their own SIO link). If both boxes are geeting packets, both boxes will be replying to those packets and the switch isn't going to be happy about two parties sending it info on one serial link (not to mention the problems of conflicts on the wire). gotta do two seperate sets of lines in that case.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies