Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Backup

I have Unity installed and want to back the system up on a periodic basis in case of hardware failure. What is the recommended course of action to backup the system? <br><br>I am currently using Arcserve with various agents to back everything up on my other servers. Would this be OK? I have the messages being stored on my primary exchange server so I don't think I would need the exchange agent, just the open files agent.<br><br>I would also like to inquire about a hot spare? Can we set up a hot spare box for Unity? What about load sharing between boxes?<br><br>Thanks in advance!<br><br>Adam<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Backup

There is a topic in the README.HTM file under the \documentation directory on CD #1 of your install set that covers the details of backing up and restoring a stand alone Unity server (a voice mail only install, not incorporated into an existing Exchange site).

If you’re backing up your message store off box, that should be fine. I’m assuming you’re also getting the directory while you’re at it… I’ve never used Arcserve but for the BackupExec package you had to do this as a separate operation when backing up your Exchange information.

I always recommend to folks that they backup the entire HD on the Unity server and then do deltas off of that. Greetings, routing rules, switch files etc… are scattered around and, of course, there’s lots of things we care about in the registry. Trying to do a “targeted” backup of just the files Unity cares about is not a good idea.

Currently there’s no “hot failover” support (officially). There are instructions for setting up a “simple failover” configuration for 2.4.6 in the README.HTM file as well. This involves configuring a 2nd Unity server (complete with security key) and installing it into the same site and forcing it to use the same location object (a Unity directory segmentation mechanism) as the primary Unity server. When the primary goes off line calls will get picked up by this 2nd server. The switch, however, is responsible for being smart enough to route calls to the 2nd box when the primary fails to answer and the mechanism for doing this varies depending on what kind of switch you’re using (this is the tricky part). Also, MWIs/Notifications don’t work while in the failover state. There’s a fairly involved set of manual steps for doing this, but it can be done.

Unity 3.0 wont officially support this same mechanism but 3.1 has on deck proper fail over support leveraging SQL 2000 which will be much easier to setup and will be more reliable.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies